Florida Gulf Coast

MrMeanGreen

I'm gonna be going to the Gulf Coast this weekend, but have a question about a potential destination...

It's gonna be a Saturday-only trip, and I would love to go back to the area I was born in, which is the Fort Walton Beach/Destin area. However, that's a 4-4.5 hour drive from where I'll be in Georgia and would like to cut that down to about half.

Looking at Google maps, I have no idea where to go, although somewhere east of Apalachicola looks to be about two hours away. I've never been to this area of the coast, does anyone have a recommendation for a nice beach area, clear water, lots of shells, etc.?

Thanks.

As luck would have it, i just got back from St. George Island, where my family rented a big house on the beach. Apalachicola is okay, not much there really.

As far as a good beach, I went to the beach on St. Joseph Peninsula, which is less than 20 miles from Apalachicola. It was apparently rated #3 beach in the U.S. and it was pretty damn good. TONS and TONS of shells. The specific beach in question is in the St. Joseph Peninsula State park, down near the tip of the peninsula.

It's especially cool because you can stand on the dunes and it's such a thin strip of land that both the ocean and the bay are less than 100feet from you :).

If you're into fishing, the old bridge to St. George Island ( now a really really long fishing pier ) produced some good size shark, Seabass, and giant ocean catfish for me too.

I'm gonna be going to the Gulf Coast this weekend, but have a question about a potential destination...

It's gonna be a Saturday-only trip, and I would love to go back to the area I was born in, which is the Fort Walton Beach/Destin area. However, that's a 4-4.5 hour drive from where I'll be in Georgia and would like to cut that down to about half.

Looking at Google maps, I have no idea where to go, although somewhere east of Apalachicola looks to be about two hours away. I've never been to this area of the coast, does anyone have a recommendation for a nice beach area, clear water, lots of shells, etc.?

Thanks.

go down to escontransam slowVille its about a 3 hours north of fort waltin area goodplace nice beaces and slow cars...

sorry u didnt get a answer from any one so i decided to give you one lol :bangbang:

I stay at a house on Tierra Verde, it's beautiful there and just two minutes down the road is Fort Desoto and it's a nice clean beach. It's also close to Pass-A-Grill and Treasure Island, they are like five minutes away with traffic.

Depending on how far your willing to go Sanibell and Captiva are very very nice as well.