Videographers come inside please..

V8 Beast

What type of digital camera/camcorder (under $500) is best for recording things such as track events where you may need to zoom in on the times 1/4 mile away? Also which ones auto seperate the videos rather then downloading them as one long vid?

If you want high quality at a low price, since you don't really need long duration shots, you can't beat a point-n-shoot still camera with a long zoom. The line between still cameras and video cameras is getting fuzzier by the day, especially if you don't need 2+ hours of consecutive video.

autoseperate is handled in the software. Micorosft movie maker will do it but My wife is playing with premier right now and loves it.

My video camera now auto seperates the video. It uploads them as seperate video so that there is no need for additional software. Any specific brands? It bwould just be for silly home movies with the kids and occasional track events stuff.

Crap, I cant remember the brand, but my dad just bought a new HD camcorder, the going price is 700 something, but apparently Chase employees have a discount through this online company and he got it for a little over $500. Apparently its gotten great reviews and is one of the better camcorders on the market.

if you know someone at Chase to buy it for you, let me know, I'll track down the make and model of the camcorder

Crap, I cant remember the brand, but my dad just bought a new HD camcorder, the going price is 700 something, but apparently Chase employees have a discount through this online company and he got it for a little over $500. Apparently its gotten great reviews and is one of the better camcorders on the market.

if you know someone at Chase to buy it for you, let me know, I'll track down the make and model of the camcorder

My best friend works for Chase :cool:

If you want high quality at a low price, since you don't really need long duration shots, you can't beat a point-n-shoot still camera with a long zoom. The line between still cameras and video cameras is getting fuzzier by the day, especially if you don't need 2+ hours of consecutive video.

This is mostly true. My old Canon S2 IS has a great video mode if your shooting in very bright light. The trouble with most point and shoot cameras is they will have to bump the gain up a lot for lower light such as night races.

Also with the canons you can download a hack that will enable them to shoot video times limited only by our storage capacity.

Evan

I have a JVC Enverio 30GB Hard Disk Camcorder (Model GZ-MG 155U) and it automatically separates the videos. It was well under $500 (I paid $289 I believe). My son has the next model up (40GB and a extra feature or two) and it was around $389. Mine is 32X optical zoom and I think that his is 37X optical zoom so no problem zooming in on the time. They will shoot 7 to 37 hours of video depending upon the quality mode you shoot in. I will bring it with me on 9/13 if you want to try it.

i got a canon s5 IS that takes great pictures (8.0MP), takes about 35 minutes of video....maybe more...ive got a 4GB stick in it. it will auto seperate, and will zoom in and out during the video.

i got it for 300$ at circuit city a couple months ago. i love it.

but, if you really need a walmart discount (whopping 10%), my old room mate is an asst. manager over there, and im sure he could get it, but you'd only be saving 20-30$, which is probably more in gas to get over to the east side to get it and get home