OIL CHANGE on a GSX-F 600 (Katana)

thorne

it's been a while since the last time I looked under a Katana, but most sport bikes you can drain the oil without removing the fairing....however, you'll want to remove at least one fairing (depending on bike) to remove the filter to keep it from getting on the fairing.

As for removal, it's pretty damn easy. Get an allen wrench in the right size and just remove the screws. If you can tune a car this should not be any issue for you. ;)

Also, you can use a car filter so you don't have to pay $15 for an oil filter. I run a little larger than stock, with with Suzuki's gay mounting location for the filter I don't think you can.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Edit:

These Oil Filters

have 20 x 1mm threads,

11 psi by-pass valve,

anti-drain back valve.

None are recommended.

This is a proprietary Suzuki

thread, and no high performance

filters are made for 20mmx1mm

threads.

Suzuki fails again. Scratch that.

oil wise to keep it simple I recommend Honda GN4. If you're not tracking your bike regularly and keep your oil change intervals reasonable I doubt you'll need a full synthetic. If you feel you want more protection go with HP4 which I used for years with great experience.

Either way I would stick with a bike-specific oil as they have higher sheer resistance than the vast majority of car oils since they are designed to work in the transmission on bikes. Also many bike oils are able to circumvent the emission-related additive level reductions that oil companies have been goign through over the past few years.