Chain size?

DSM1290

I want to change sprokets and get a new chain at the same time. How do i figure out what length of chain i need. I have an 89 ZX600. I'm putting a 13t and a 48t on it. That's 2 smaller in the front and 9 more in the back. Thanks for any help

Stunters don't tend to change the front, only the back. On average for every 1 tooth you remove off the front is similar to adding 3 to the back. With the settings you're going for your top end will probably be crap but the front of the bike will pull up with little effort

Umm, yes.

Your chain and sprockets will wear out faster because of the drastic change on the front...the lower the teeth, the more bending the chain has to do, therefore generating more heat and friction.

It's much more wear and tear on the motor...especially one that's 19 years old!

You will run much higher temperatures because of the high RPM's

You will go through a lot more fuel

Your first few gears will almost be unusable

Yes, you'll have quicker acceleration, but it will also come at the expense of fighting to keep the front end on the ground (at least in the lower gears)

You'll make a whole lot more noise even at street speeds because your RPM's will be much higher...which will scream out "I'm speeding...pull me over"

In the 20+ years I've worked in the motorcycle industry, I don't think I've ever once seen somebody make that drastic of a gearing change, especially on a 600.

But...it's your decision.

So your saying it's a bit much. What about just changing the front and leaving the back alone. Or changing the back and leaving the front alone. Is it better of more efficient to change one over the other?

Well i can either spend like $100 on new sprokets and be quicker or I can speed a few grand on a new bike. I will stick with the cheaper options right now. And half the fun is working on your bike. But thanks for the input.

I'd say do the increase on the back. From what I've heard you can increase the back's size without adding too much extra wear easier than removing from the front.

Umm, yes.

Your chain and sprockets will wear out faster because of the drastic change on the front...the lower the teeth, the more bending the chain has to do, therefore generating more heat and friction.

It's much more wear and tear on the motor...especially one that's 19 years old!

You will run much higher temperatures because of the high RPM's

You will go through a lot more fuel

Your first few gears will almost be unusable

Yes, you'll have quicker acceleration, but it will also come at the expense of fighting to keep the front end on the ground (at least in the lower gears)

You'll make a whole lot more noise even at street speeds because your RPM's will be much higher...which will scream out "I'm speeding...pull me over"

In the 20+ years I've worked in the motorcycle industry, I don't think I've ever once seen somebody make that drastic of a gearing change, especially on a 600.

But...it's your decision.

Only place I've seen it is on parking lot stunters where they don't tend to ever go above 20.