Call centers are cesspools!!!

V8 Beast

I have lived a very healthy and happy life until like about 5 years ago. I started working in a call center in 2001 and I guess it takes about 3 years before it kills your immune system.

Since 2004 I have had strep 4 times, pneumonia, the flu twice, about 8 colds, tonsillitis 3 times, and a minor lung infection. To put this into perspective I had the flu about 10 times, tonsillitis 3 times, and about 15 colds in my first 25 years on this planet. I'm tired of this shit!!!! If anyone has a job paying $50-$60k a year I'd be willing to take the pay cut to get my health back in order.

If you'll excuse me I'm off to the doctor. With the pain I'm in hopefully they'll just remove my throat an put some pvc piping in its place.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for you. I worked at the State of Ohio Computer Center on West campus for 2 years. Aside from the place being set up like a prison...(center atrium and 3 floors or catwalks)...there was absolutely no moisture in the air. Constant hum of servers and HVAC.

I hope you start feeling better.

I feel for you. I worked at the State of Ohio Computer Center on West campus for 2 years. Aside from the place being set up like a prison...(center atrium and 3 floors or catwalks)...there was absolutely no moisture in the air. Constant hum of servers and HVAC.

I hope you start feeling better.

Is this the "Ohio Super Computer Center" on West Campus, or something else? I'm very familiar with the place....

Don't really work in a cesspool, but I do work in a candle lab! Haha basically we do R&D on candles for Bath & Body Works and companies like that. We'll have hundreds of candles burning at a single time in a room(we have 4 rooms). Sometimes you feel like your lungs are just dieing, and on the really bad days if you go blow your nose...all your snot will be blackish from all the soot. Gotta be healthy :)

Don't really work in a cesspool, but I do work in a candle lab! Haha basically we do R&D on candles for Bath & Body Works and companies like that. We'll have hundreds of candles burning at a single time in a room(we have 4 rooms). Sometimes you feel like your lungs are just dieing, and on the really bad days if you go blow your nose...all your snot will be blackish from all the soot. Gotta be healthy :)

when i go to yankee candle, i sneeze a billion times... i hate that place

when i go to yankee candle, i sneeze a billion times... i hate that place

Yeah it can get pretty bad, some of the guys wear like gas mask things. We also do that tealight oil stuff...thats horrible. Makes your face and lungs just burn. But hey its easy! And how many people get to say they watch candles for a living? Haha

That's a job? No offense..but how do you even get into something like that?

-Marc

I have lived a very healthy and happy life until like about 5 years ago. I started working in a call center in 2001 and I guess it takes about 3 years before it kills your immune system.

Since 2004 I have had strep 4 times, pneumonia, the flu twice, about 8 colds, tonsillitis 3 times, and a minor lung infection. To put this into perspective I had the flu about 10 times, tonsillitis 3 times, and about 15 colds in my first 25 years on this planet. I'm tired of this shit!!!! If anyone has a job paying $50-$60k a year I'd be willing to take the pay cut to get my health back in order.

If you'll excuse me I'm off to the doctor. With the pain I'm in hopefully they'll just remove my throat an put some pvc piping in its place.

Might be a good time to upgrade to one of those electric superchargers into that piping too. Might help out your breathing with the psi it makes. ;)

That's a job? No offense..but how do you even get into something like that?

-Marc

Yessir its a job! Haha ok well some background. My mom has been a secretary for this company S.E.A Limited since the late 90's. They're a forensic engineering firm, ie. they do things like accident reconstruction, fire investigation, electrical accident investigation, things like that. Well to make some extra money on the side they started testing candles for Bath & Body Works on the side. Since there are so many different chemical combinations, as well as wick combinations they can use, they have to test them. Some combinations can cause the flames to be really high(and thus dangerous), some can cause the candles to hardly burn at all. So thats where we come in. After a while the demand from B&B got so big that they built a building devoted to just candle testing, and the client base has grown from there. Bath & Body, Soy Basics, and Proctor and Gamble are a few of our clients. There was an opening there at the beginning of the summer, at the time I was working at Market Day with turbospec29, nyall86, and I think true blue worked there for a bit after I left, I was also working at Firestone on Sawmill. This payed well and had set hours(that weren't 3rd shift like Market Day), so I took it. And its pretty flipping sweet haha.