9/12 - Gas to rise $0.20 a gallon this afternoon.

zeitgeist57

Texas is good for < 25% of the US refining. 50% of those were shut down.

That != 2/5 of production.

Many facilities that WERE shut down in Louisiana are coming back on line. Areas around Texas should see increases. There is no legit way Kentucky and/or Ohio should jump > $1.00.

Period.

Ohio gets a lot of its gas from the Toldeo refinery. I dunno where gas stations in Kentucky get their gas.

Call the distributors and wholesalers and bitch if you think it's wrong. If there is a shortage in supply (which the Wildcat today said supply is down 40% or so) obviously the wholesale price is going to rise.

Here is a fact. Wholesale ended today up a whopping $.10. That is the price I can order a 10,000 gallon tanker at, RIGHT NOW. Rumors and fear are making some station owners wallets nice and fat today.

EDIT. By "I", I mean Dad's station. Sorry.

Double EDIT. I think the key phrase missing in some people's conversations is, "Wholesale prices near the gulf" jumped today."

Ehh, my head hurts, and I hope I am right.

Here is a fact. Wholesale ended today up a whopping $.10. That is the price I can order a 10,000 gallon tanker at, RIGHT NOW. Rumors and fear are making some station owners wallets nice and fat today.

EDIT. By "I", I mean Dad's station. Sorry.

This region's wholesale price... the SE region is up to ~4.56

EDIT: what is the region's wholesale price?

Market is $2.76

Various State Attorney Generals have been on the news reporting the prices in their states are a result of price gouging and are asking people to report the offending stations.

Ah good ole state gov'ts, defying the laws of supply and demand pricing models to ease the minds of the consumer.

Ah good ole state gov'ts, defying the laws of supply and demand pricing models to ease the minds of the consumer.

I think the issue though is just allowing standard supply and demand models to run how they normally would in this situation could cause a much more critical long term damage affect then most would think. Something like a ripple effect.

This is the effect of fuel speculation and price gouging, every bit. There is no possibility that enough of our refining capacity could be damaged by Ike to cause this sort of rise without help from market speculation, and there hasn't been enough time for the refineries to be fully inspected to figure what damage has been caused, if any.

This is the effect of fuel speculation and price gouging, every bit. There is no possibility that enough of our refining capacity could be damaged by Ike to cause this sort of rise without help from market speculation, and there hasn't been enough time for the refineries to be fully inspected to figure what damage has been caused, if any.

No

Edit: Tomorrow would be a good time to go grocery shopping if you don't already have a week's worth of stores already.

How the hell would speculation affect spot wholesale prices? lol

I wonder if they'll jack the price of E85 as well just because they can?

There may be a bump because the stuff is still 15% standard gasoline, but anybody who does spike it had better be able to show their receipts from the wholesalers.

And please, people, don't put the stuff in your cars unless they're equipped for it.