Subaru guys...

kizzzzle

Intakes are generally bad unless there is a tune. Ask about tranny issues...take the car on a test drive. Ask about how many/if the car has been tracked.

The wrx tranny will blow if its beat on, so try to find a car that is being sold by someone you feel you can trust. The 04-05 models have RA gear width (per nasioc) but not the same cut. In all honesty, join up on nasioc.com and read all the stickies.

Check to see if the heat shield has been removed, because if it has and the car is stock it mostly likely demodded.

But for me, if I was looking again I would want the least amount of mods on my car. And an intake & MBC would be the first things I would ask about...both of those being negating factors.

im possibly selling...pm me if your interested.

If I was you I would buy an 05 Legacy GT.

Same engine as the STI, minus AVCS on the exhaust side, and Sodium filled valves. You can pick one up for 14k-16.5k

If that is our of your range though, stay away from the 02's unless you want to replace the transmission frequently.

I couldn't find an 05 lgt for less than 18-20k and that was like 5 months ago. Most the cheaper ones were all modded. That's not a bad thing, but like I said they were probably beat on.

I just bought my 05 for 14.9 with 60k miles, fully loaded minus Nav. Single owner, never beat on.

They are out there, but it does take some searching around to find them.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=used&distance=50&address=43204&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=SUB&model=LEGACY&make2=&start_year=2005&end_year=2005&min_price=&max_price=&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=n&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=

Some decent ones around Cbus

I would highly suggest a late model 03. The tranny in the 03 is stronger then the 02. I know because I had an early model 03 and once i hit 280whp it let go on me.

an intake is a waste of money unless your getting a turbo swap. I make 300whp and I use a stock airbox and a drop in PAPER filter. The problem with the intakes is they change the diameter and the flow charteristics. It can be tuned out.

If you get a 02/03/04/05/06 I will toss a Off the shelf flash on the car no charge. All we need is a hour or 2 to datalog it and make sure your car reacts properly to it.

The best mods in order for the ej205 based cars.

Tactrix Cable #1 thats 20whp or I dynoed 198 with only a flash.

Uppipe

Downpipe.

After that you can go injectors/fuelpump/vf39 Thats what I'm running atm.

You honestly don't even need a catback right away. I made 280whp with stock catback.

Funny that you ask this. I'm checking out a 06 SAAB 9-2x for my mom this weekend (basically a re-badged WRX wagon) and have been looking for common problem areas as well.

Check this website for some advice on buying a used WRX

http://flatironsrally.typepad.com/flatirons_tuning_project_/2006/03/flatirons_tunin.html

If anybody has more words of wisdom or things to check out, please let us know!

If you get a 02/03/04/05/06 I will toss a Off the shelf flash on the car no charge. All we need is a hour or 2 to datalog it and make sure your car reacts properly to it.

I would recomend this. Thorne has spent some time on my car, and I must say a simple flash has done wanders for the car.

The car feels great. Pulls hard, no knock, etc.... I would recoemend him for tuning your ride, if you get a Subaru

I've been doing a few legacy gt's lately. ;) All of them are stage 1's. I'm really looking forward to finishing up this 18g ej205. It's kinda laggy but god damn if it anit quick up top.

BTW unless I'm tuning on the dyno I do not charge and prefer to teach people what I'm doing so they can understand.

Really everything that has been said is pretty good advice.

I would take it all in w/ a grain of salt since it is all opinion.

I currently have 2 2002 wrx's (one for me & one for the girlfriend) as DD's.

The are completely stock and I have NEVER had any troubles with them other than maintenance items. They both have over 100 k miles.

I would also recommend reading the nasioc stickies. They really provide a great deal of information.

Good luck in your hunting.

Turbo + AWD = broken parts. There is always a weak link, don't expect a car that fits this formula to ever be 100% reliable.

Oh, and I would love to get rid of my WRX, I'm just not sure yet how I can assume the negative equity and get the title transferred.

That is not always the case.....

Turbo + AWD = broken parts. There is always a weak link, don't expect a car that fits this formula to ever be 100% reliable.

Oh, and I would love to get rid of my WRX, I'm just not sure yet how I can assume the negative equity and get the title transferred.

There are 800+hp STIs out there on the stock transmission. They leave the stock rear axles in as 'fuses' in the driveline.

Subaru marries Turbo and AWD with excellent reliability. The 02 and early 03 5-spd issues only crop up if the power is greatly increased and/or the car is abused. 104,000 miles and my 'glass' transmission is holding up fine.

Really everything that has been said is pretty good advice.

I would take it all in w/ a grain of salt since it is all opinion.

I currently have 2 2002 wrx's (one for me & one for the girlfriend) as DD's.

The are completely stock and I have NEVER had any troubles with them other than maintenance items. They both have over 100 k miles.

I would also recommend reading the nasioc stickies. They really provide a great deal of information.

Good luck in your hunting.

Unibomber = FTW

His info bar none is the best.

That is not always the case.....

What was it you were just telling me you had to replace?

Oh, that's right...

[01:23] joneze93tsi: A4 is running better than ever.

[01:23] joneze93tsi: I think the dv was leaking slowly for a while.

Case in point, look at the DSM. It is one of the first AWD Turbo cars out there that actually sold in any kind of quantity, and its known for its lack of reliability.

The point though, is that you are taking a power adder, that is very easy to get more power out of, then coupling it to a driveline that doesn't allow tire spin. SOMETHING is going to let go. In the early WRX's, its the transmission. As said above, in the STI's it is the rear axle shafts. Jones became an Audi snob, but he even knows not to own one without a warranty.

I dont think AWD has all that much to do with it. Its more of just HP, thats why you have to upgrade axles and everything else to get a reliable rwd drag car. The point is that your putting a lot more HP into the car stressing everything more than was originally intended. Every car has its weak points.

Back on topic, whats the price difference to get a WRX with the better tranny? Would it be worth buying an 02 for cheaper and getting it rebuilt? Im not sure of the cost for the WRX's.

I dont think AWD has all that much to do with it. Its more of just HP, thats why you have to upgrade axles and everything else to get a reliable rwd drag car. The point is that your putting a lot more HP into the car stressing everything more than was originally intended. Every car has its weak points.

Nope. it's exactly the fact that it's AWD. TB SS's are the same way. The AWD TB's tend to pop the 4L60E. The RWDs do, but not as much.