Scrap Market Economy

Vander

I read a post earlier that said scrap has gone down quite a bit, and that led me to think...............What in the economy in the automotive market determines the value of scrap? What are the indicators that scrap will go up or down in the near future? etc........

Depends on what the scrappers are getting for their metals....

...which is determined by who is using their metals...

...and no one in the slumping US industrial sector is buying alot of scrap metals.

If you want prices to go up, go out and buy something made of recycled metal.

The olympics slowed Chinas production quite a bit, that is where a lot of our scrap metal is being shipped to. When that slowed there was an abundance of scrap metal, and not enough demand. Once they get over the surplus the price will go back up. I think we all knew that this price would not last forever, I just wish I would have known it was going to go up like it did. I remember scrapping steel for $35 a ton... :(

Preston nailed it, right before the olympics started there was a claimed 200 miles of ships going from here to china, now all these scrap yards that were paying 600 a car are stuck with hundreds of them and they cant do anything, btw Preston get me those tire sizes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around 180 a ton.

Andrew, I am not near the trailers, and grandpa has been too busy to do anything besides work. I am trying to get this all taken care of. I have Firday off, and am going on a mission to get these trailers sold and make a large profit. If you can sell them for me oobviously you will make some cash.

Its probably all the SUV's and larger trucks that I see going to the crusher. Its very hard to find a truck for sale under $1k now and its even harder to get something nice like a 1 ton axle set.

Other than that the market probably just corrected from all the rednecks hauling their old cars/trucks to the crusher to get beer money.

Evan

alot of people where hauling in junk cars.(tow companys etc) and they where making great money at it. (at 240plus a ton) but now the bottom has fell out(back to 140 a ton or so) in times of war, scrap goes up! like it has. but now election time is here, and talk of pulling out of war....well you see whats happens. the past few months scrap was been way up! but converters, aluminum etc, stile seems up from where it was last year! last year scrap was at 180 at about this time.

personaly, i like the fact that junk cars are going where they belong. explaining why its up and down so much i dont really know!