376 MPG..... in 1973??? WTF???

Casper

:rolleyes:

Actually its true. There have been many cases of this. One in particular I did a paper on a while back was a guy who designed a carburetor for the Ford 2.3L that got around 95 MPG back in the 70s. GM bought the patent, and it was never seen again. The automotive and oil companies don't want that technology on the road, and for obvious reasons.

Actually its true. There have been many cases of this. One in particular I did a paper on a while back was a guy who designed a carburetor for the Ford 2.3L that got around 95 MPG back in the 70s. GM bought the patent, and it was never seen again. The automotive and oil companies don't want that technology on the road, and for obvious reasons.

OK, since you wrote a paper on it, tell us all how it makes economic sense for the car companies to suppress fuel mileage improvements at times when fuel prices are ridiculous, and a legitimate technology like this would guarantee billions of dollars in sales for the company that produced it? Seriously, Toyota can't even keep up with demand for the Prius, and you expect us to believe that a car company wouldn't LEAP to sell a car that can do 100MPG?

OK, since you wrote a paper on it, tell us all how it makes economic sense for the car companies to suppress fuel mileage improvements at times when fuel prices are ridiculous, and a legitimate technology like this would guarantee billions of dollars in sales for the company that produced it? Seriously, Toyota can't even keep up with demand for the Prius, and you expect us to believe that a car company wouldn't LEAP to sell a car that can do 100MPG?

Great question, not to mention the tighter gas mileage requirements that will be coming into effect soon.

yeah the car company would love to sell these cars. but it would hurt their production lines because everyone would want that car! and gm/ford or who ever wouldnt change over every car to that standard untill they actually see the figures that this is what the people want, and anyways it wont happen if the car manufactors dont buy the pattens the oil companies sure will. so we wont see that high gas mileage until the government steps in, oh wait, the government is backed by the big oil companies. so... good luck seeing this plans in actual cars off the showroom.

yeah the car company would love to sell these cars. but it would hurt their production lines because everyone would want that car! and gm/ford or who ever wouldnt change over every car to that standard untill they actually see the figures that this is what the people want, and anyways it wont happen if the car manufactors dont buy the pattens the oil companies sure will. so we wont see that high gas mileage until the government steps in, oh wait, the government is backed by the big oil companies. so... good luck seeing this plans in actual cars off the showroom.

What?:confused:

If I read you correctly(doubtful), what you are saying is that there would be so much demand for the car that keeping up with demand might cause harm to the production lines?

And yet you also state that the car companies won't touch them because they don't know if there is enough demand?

The rest of your post i can't make heads or tails of...

What?:confused:

If I read you correctly(doubtful), what you are saying is that there would be so much demand for the car that keeping up with demand might cause harm to the production lines?

And yet you also state that the car companies won't touch them because they don't know if there is enough demand?

The rest of your post i can't make heads or tails of...

lol, seriously. Thats the dumbest fucking reason I have ever heard.

It's just a number that I highly doubt is achievable under real-world driving conditions. Hell, they build competition vehicles here at school that get over 1000mpg...

sum it up. it wont happen

The thing is, it comes to the same no matter which of us is right. You say we won't see it because the big bad oil and car companies are suppressing information(that would make one of the two magnificent amounts of money).

I say that it's because 99.99% of high-mileage claims are absolute horseshit.

Some of the highly-experimental, multi-million-dollar, university-designed things I can believe, like some of these little tiny pod things that are getting umpteen thousand MPG and weigh about 120lbs WITH the driver. But things like shadetree mechanics with "special carburetors" and no background in engine design are BS. You have to start with a clean sheet and design the motor from beginning to end to get that kind of result.

Guest 614Streets

The Oil companies compensate the car companies in many ways. A better question would be why would it be economical to Implement high mpg and electric cars when you have a country built around the oil companies and its infrastructure. Name 1 thing anywhere on this planet that cannot be considered part of oil "infrastructures" influence. It is the sole core of the worlds economics and if that sector shrinks down even to half its size , new sectors will have to frontier and grow and just quite possibly become in reality the same exact circumstance , well it would if they could ban electricity. Electricity will from here on out be the new juggernaut , personally I estimate electric found technologies to be a millionth of a percent currently understood and refined.