Clearcoat on polished rims?

JaSSon

The stock rims on my SS are polished 20" rims with a clear coat. The clear coat on them looks cloudy, like someone used too strong of a wheel cleaner on them. Is there a way to make them shine again? Short or stripping them I mean. I've tried some scratch-x and Mother's polish, but it didn't help.

I've seen alot of issues with GM wheels doing this and they have yet to step up to the plate and admit that the finish on the wheels is just crap. I'm guessing all of the wheels are doing it and they're pretty evenly doing it as well.

If it's just a blotchy spot on one of the wheels or something caused by too strong of a cleaner on the surface then you'd be able to polish out the surface of the clear and bring back the shine. (assuming it didn't completely eat the clear at that spot). What I've seen though appears to me to be as though the finish is actually hazing UNDER the clear and there's nothing short of stripping and refinishing them that can be done.

Andy

• 1 month later...
The Clear is terrible on those wheels, even GM reps will admit that. I actually Just had mine replaced free of charge because of the clear peeling off and corroding the wheel. You may not be able to get the finish back, they have been known to haze under the clear. I have talked to a lot of people having the clear stripped and resprayed but you can run into the same problem. I am looking into maybe chroming mine :D