Car accident questions

87GT

you know whats BS, when my old car got totalled out from the hail storm, nationwide told me they "could not" sell me the car back because it would have a salvage title and they couldnt have that responsibility or some BS.

Ive seen this a few times...my opinion...someone there wants the car if it totals.

The only reason I could see (or have heard) for an insurance company to not offer the owner the option to retain the salvage on a totalled vehicle is if there is a lein holder involved. The insurance companies have an obligation to the lein holder to cover the collateral of the loan. If there is a lein against the vehicle, the insurance company works with the lein holder to secure the guarantee of title and such. The lein holder obviously won't let you do anything having to do with the title until they're paid off, and the insurance company won't settle a total loss in which you retain the salvage until they have proof that the vehicle's title has been placed in salvage status.

Ive seen this a few times...my opinion...someone there wants the car if it totals.

I don't know about other insurance companies, but where I work, I'm not allowed to purchase salvage because of the potential for a conflict of interests. As a matter of fact, I had to elevate through 3 levels of management to get someone to tell me beyond a shadow of a doubt that retaining the salvage on my Contour wouldn't put my job at risk.