Super annoying computer issue, typing backwards, really intermittent...

spankis

So, I'm usually pretty technical when it comes to computer stuff, and normally I'd just say reformat, but being it's an issue on my laptop I'd prefer to try and avoid that right now; I always end up with driver problems....

That said, the problem I'm having is proving hard to track down. It's EXTREMELY intermittent, and I can't point to any thing in particular that causes it. What happens is that I can be typing something into a field on google/CR/url bar, or any text field basically, and my typing will become backwards. The cursor moves left, and shoots the letter previously typed to the right. Basically, I'm typing normally, left to right, but it's being produced right to left, but sourcing from the normal left side of the text box. Maybe inverting it would be a better way to describe it. I can type "hello" on my keyboard, and it will be produced "olleh" on the screen.

A secondary way it reflects itself is when I try to select text, it will instantly deselect it, place the cursor at the far right character, and jump between character right to left until it cycles to the left end.....really annoying, and really stupid.

Now, I've run the version of Symantec Antivirus I get from work, and Spybot Search and Destroy, but all scans have found nothing. From what I've tried to find online, most solutions point to a faulty keyboard as you'd find with a desktop, not a laptop. It's so intermittent that I doubt that's it. Anybody maybe know what else I might try, or have any idea what might be causing it before I bite the bullet and do a clean install?

I had this happen on an old laptop. The actual keyboard was flexing and causing odd typing behavior. This was probably due to the laptop chassis not being rigid enough because of a design flaw.

The other thought is something spilled into the keyboard. Either issue will not be solved by a format, but by getting a new keyboard.

Just a few guesses. The typing backwards thing does sound software related though... :confused:

I had this happen on an old laptop. The actual keyboard was flexing and causing odd typing behavior. This was probably due to the laptop chassis not being rigid enough because of a design flaw.

The other thought is something spilled into the keyboard. Either issue will not be solved by a format, but by getting a new keyboard.

Just a few guesses. The typing backwards thing does sound software related though... :confused:

Yea, it could be hardware related I suppose, but I'm leaning toward software as well. I had my old compaq laptop case open a few times, but if it looks like the keyboard needs replaced on this one, I'll probably just exchange for a new one with the warranty.

Maybe it's some Mozilla conflict? I dunno, I updated that a couple weeks ago I thought.

searched the net and found this.

if it's the right-to-left text language thing try hitting ctrl + left-shift to revert to left-to-right text.

Ctrl + left-shift (left-to-right)

Ctrl + right-shift (right-to-left)

also if you are using firefox

go here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1260866

have a couple different fixes listed

Awesome, I'll try some of those next time it happens; the fact that it comes and goes makes it rough too.

I did some more searching and found some vague indication that firefox 3 may have trouble dealing with java somehow that might cause such behavior. Not sure, but I don't recall it occuring after some strange instance of java. I tend to visit the same dozen or so sites regularly, and I've visited them all without anything in particular causing it again..... all I can do is wait for it to happen i guess, and apply some of these attempts at fixing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Soooooooo, turns out this an issue w/ my new mouse. It's a logitech G5, and it seem really nice so far, except for this. When the backward typing issues begin, if I click the mouse-wheel button, all goes back to normal.....awesome.

I can't make it happen just by using the scroll wheel or wheel button, but at least i know how to stop it now. Do I send it back to newegg? It's been a month by now.

I have a G5 and I bet you anything it is a software issue with it and not hardware.

SetPoint is the biggest pile of shit piece of software I've ever seen.

What are your settings in SetPoint for the button that stops it?

Yea, i agree for the most part. I'll probably keep it. As far as setpoint settings, the scroll wheel button is currently set to "autoscroll". I use that to scroll up and down through long pages, you just click the button, then move the mouse up or down to look through pages quickly.

I miss the functionality of my old microsoft mouse that would scroll faster just by spinning the wheel faster. I guess this autoscroll thing is okay, but it's probably what's causing the issue.

Try an older version of SetPoint... I've had all kinds of issues with quite a few different versions. Piggy backed mouse driver FTL.

http://www.oldversion.com

You can change the scroll speed of the mouse wheel in SetPoint, you can't (that I know of) make it accelerate faster as you spin it, though.

Is it set for OS implementation or SetPoint implementation? I always use OS... for multiple reasons.

Try an older version of SetPoint... I've had all kinds of issues with quite a few different versions. Piggy backed mouse driver FTL.

http://www.oldversion.com

You can change the scroll speed of the mouse wheel in SetPoint, you can't (that I know of) make it accelerate faster as you spin it, though.

Is it set for OS implementation or SetPoint implementation? I always use OS... for multiple reasons.

I've changed the scroll speed to what I want and it's okay, just not as good an accelerating wheel. I may try an older version actually, I've been doing that w/ aimutation for a while now. What do you mean Setpoint or OS implementation?

In SetPoint there are three tabs to the left... top has mouse options, middle has movement options, bottom has game options. Click the bottom tab. I can't remember if OS or SetPoint implementation is the default, but for whatever reason sometimes with it being set as SetPoint implementation it will cause crazy errors.

Now that you know the G5 is most likely the problem you might want to check to see if anyone is having a similar issue... with all the bugs I've found in SetPoint it wouldn't shock me in the least.

Yup, it was already in OS implementation. I'll look around tonight and see if anybody else is in the same boat.

Also, I've never met you I don't think, but I've seen your posts. I too loves me some buicks :). Thanks for the help, sir.

I bet you anything when you press that button it is inserting ҉ into whatever field you're typing into.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_control_characters#Bidirectional_text_control

I know that the version of SetPoint I'm using inserts characters into text fields when I press back/forward scroll (currently bound to back/forward). I'd guess for whatever reason on that version of SetPoint that button is bound to one of the text control functions.

Again, piggy back shit = fale.

... as for the Buick thing, you'll see it out next spring. Well, by it, I mean most of it. It might not look like a Regal. ;)

Wow, yea that makes a lot of sense. It's like inserting text from a language written right to left into the text field, so it adjusts direction for the following typed characters, english or not...

I have class now but will be trying to resolve this later.