lights pulsing

justinwebb

so lately my gauge cluster my tail lights and parking lights all have this crazy pulse to them while the car is running. Checked all grounds checked the alternator output while car was running at the battery and got 14. something and battery with car off is 12.6 so all seems well. Havent changed out the alternator yet cause it seemed to be working ok. What would make the lights pulse like crazy? anything i have over looked? thought about taking it to autozone and have them test the alternator. Its quite annoying though so any help would be great

i figured it was the alternator too but its putting out like 14.6 which seems fine to me but i am gonna take it to autozone to have them test that and the battery then go from there. Then i have found out that the harness can rub up against the manifold and eventually short out so i might check that and the relay like stated just to make sure. I just dont want to fry anything driving it like that

he replaced his alternator twice, nothing changed. the harness rubbing on the manifold shorted out the relay or a fusible link.....i just can't exactly remember which.

If that's the case have it tested, and if it has proper output it may just be something unique to his car. Diag is your friend.

your seeing the diode ripple in the lighting. change the alternator. one of the one way diodes in the casing itself is shorting/ going out. hence why the lights are flickering!

Thanks for agreeing with me. I hate for you to have to prove me wrong.

• Confused 1

yea i was hoping on just the alternator too cause i got one from a buddy for 20 bucks just hate taking it places makes me feel like a dumbass...and if it is the alternator they are a bitch to change on the hondas

not unless you have a h22 in a civic.. you could be having a grounding issue if its not the alt!

but without a dvom, amp meter etc(and the car of course) im just guessing! ;)

Thanks for agreeing with me. I hate for you to have to prove me wrong.

i read the first post, then i post. then i read the rest and edit or post again. you just ahppen to be right for a change :p

tried taking it to advance they said they couldnt test it as the alternator is behind the motor on the bottom so oh well....and oddly enough on the way home it stopped so i dunno whats going on i figure its just starting to go bad so its a intermittent problem. Thanks so far guys for the help i appreciate it +rep for you all