explain this to me.

pontiacfreak142

Basically, ever since ive "built" this V6 up, I have gotten shit from a few people on other sites telling me that my car was not built right and what not.

for reference, there is a guy that runs mid 13's with the same cam i do, stock heads, valve train upgrades, same stall i have, 4.10 gears, suspension upgrades and tune.

Now i had one of the guys telling me what he thinks is wrong with my car, and why it isnt running at least mid 13's. A few things he said, i really dont understand and hoping maybe someone here can give me some insight.

He said the biggest thing was tuning. I do understand how a good tune makes a difference, but the car was tuned a while back with 25* of timing and wouldnt make any more power past that, and also had an A/F ration of 12.7. The only thing is, when i had it tuned, it still had stock length push rods in it, which i was told were to long since i had the bigger cam and some what ported heads. We also know a few of the valve guides were on there way out, but not sure how bad they were.

Secondly, Is it possible to have ported heads that will actually hurt performance? I was told that could also be a problem. Can ported heads actually hurt performance? The heads were ported by a professional, and he had the cam specs.

Also, what difference would having a good suspension setup have? i personally wouldnt think it would do much for a 13 second car, but then again, i dont know much about suspensions.

Talking to most people I find they lose most of there time in the first 4-5 seconds of their run. If you think you can push your tires harder into the ground and get the car going faster then yes suspension will help. If your tires seem to be hooking, and the weight transfer is good then suspension may not help. You also could be losing time through your transmission. When I upgraded my tranny it immediately took time off of my e.t.

What are ALL the mods you have on that car?

I had an NA setup with Heads, cam, etc.. all the bullshit.. I dyno'd pretty high but ran shit at the track (90 degree day doesn't help).

well let me think,

ported heads (stock valves, not sure how good of a port job either)

cam (210/220 .512 112 lsa)

105 pound springs

shortend pushrods

3500 stall

corvette servo

1 piece drive shaft

torsen posi

3.73 gears

LCA's

drag radials that 1.5 inches shorter than tuned for

and it was tuned by intense, has 25* of timing and according to my dyno sheet, A/F ratio is at 12.7:1. Not sure if the tune is still good or not though, they didnt pick up any knock retard or anything, but it still has stock length pushrods and had a tick to it from valves starting to bounce around the head.

well let me think,

ported heads (stock valves, not sure how good of a port job either)

cam (210/220 .512 112 lsa)

105 pound springs

shortend pushrods

3500 stall

corvette servo

1 piece drive shaft

torsen posi

3.73 gears

LCA's

drag radials that 1.5 inches shorter than tuned for

and it was tuned by intense, has 25* of timing and according to my dyno sheet, A/F ratio is at 12.7:1. Not sure if the tune is still good or not though, they didnt pick up any knock retard or anything, but it still has stock length pushrods and had a tick to it from valves starting to bounce around the head.

Your a/f might be 12.7, but as the run progresses (say into 9 seconds and up in the PE table), it might be running really rich. On a dyno, it runs for what.. 2-3 seconds? that's like a very small portion of the PE table.

Suspension and your 60fts. I can pull a 1.8 60ft in my fwd with street tires. learn how to launch to get that 60 down and you'll be alright. As for the heads I'm not sure how much that can hurt you. But I have read that some cars can make different power with different heads & cam combo and not always for the better. Good luck!

For as many mods you have, I would say your down on power judging by your trap speed. For reference my bone stock 3.8 with only headers and exhaust traps 94.xxmph at a race weight of 2900lbs. I'm sure you Firebird is a few pounds heavier but the power to weight ratio doesn't add up for the work you have done.

Where was it tuned and by who?

For as many mods you have, I would say your down on power judging by your trap speed. For reference my bone stock 3.8 with only headers and exhaust traps 94.xxmph at a race weight of 2900lbs. I'm sure you Firebird is a few pounds heavier but the power to weight ratio doesn't add up for the work you have done.

Where was it tuned and by who?

yea, ive been told that to, and ive seen cam only cars trapping at least 97 mph to.

the car was tuned by scott and tim of intense racing.

Can some one recommend a good shop in the area that has a flow bench? id like to see how these heads flow compared to stock.

This may be a dumb question, but is there any way to tell, like say if the heads are apart of my problem? meaning like they dont go well with the cam. would a flow bench be able to tell me this?

Talk to Brian at Dyno Tune, he knows an ungodly amount about tuning.

Your suspension is holding you back a good bit too. No offense but, that 60ft sucks. Get some work in the rear of that thing, make it hook.

Find me at the track. I'll get my fat ass in your car with my scanner/tuner and we'll see what's up. If I remember right, most NA L36 cars run good at 30 degrees of timing.

ok, i was gonna get ahold you last sunday but i ended up having to run around all day for my dad.

Talk to Brian at Dyno Tune, he knows an ungodly amount about tuning.

Your suspension is holding you back a good bit too. No offense but, that 60ft sucks. Get some work in the rear of that thing, make it hook.

tell me about it, ive been told i should easily be the 1.8's.

It does hook really well as is, but what would you recommend getting? i already have LCA's.

He's only pushing like 220 hp. that's not THAT bad of a 60 with that kind of power. Now if he was pushing 300+ WHP, that's a different story. You need pretty good power to get a decent 60'. You can't cut a sub 2.0 with 100 HP now can you? :).

He's only pushing like 220 hp. that's not THAT bad of a 60 with that kind of power. Now if he was pushing 300+ WHP, that's a different story. You need pretty good power to get a decent 60'. You can't cut a sub 2.0 with 100 HP now can you? :).

Good point, I neglected to remember the power level.

I sub 1.30s with 90hp. What no bish?