tradeing cars out of state??

turbospec29

I may be going through with a deal to trade my car to someone who lives in another state. I'm somewhat unsure how this will work and what we would each need to do. Both cars are paid for and we both have the titles of our cars. We plan on meeting halfway and making the switch. Any problems with that? Will I have trouble with getting the car put in my name? Are we both going to have to pay a tax, or would there be none because it is a strait up trade? Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

Call the BMV and ask if they require the other state's title be notarized and if the other state requires titles from Ohio to be notarized. That's all.

Some states, like FL, do not require a notary, just that the title is signed from the previous owner.

Guest 614Streets
FYI to keep taxes down write a 100 bucks in the title on each title , I can get it notorized on your end friend. If you really want to pursue looking for information on the idea of the bmv having a no tax on trades I would call the bmv , I haven't heard of that one yet. Just make sure you get the title signed over and notorized.

Do not fill out anything but the seller/buyer info and signature.

You are not required to give an amount and when asked at the BMV, tell them you paid $0.00 for it. That's the truth. OH doesn't have property tax so you will be good. NC would charge you tax on the market value of the vehicle even if it was given to you and paid nothing for it.