K...I need PC advice.

Putty

I have a older 1ghz Dell laptop that needs formatted and XP reinstalled. Here's the issue. When it boots it tells me there is a missing file in windows\sys32.....blah. It stops there and says I can repair with oem disc. I placed an XP disc in, but the sob won't boot from it....Yes, I selected the rom as the first boot device. It just won't read from the CD....Therefore, I can't get to repair it...I can't get to where I XP setup allows me to partition it..

How can I get to where I can boot to something..anything that will allow me to format and reinstall....no floppy option either.

Do you know for sure the cd-rom drive works?

I hear it spin...that is all....no, not for sure.

Have you tried a BartPE or Linux Live CD?

Nope...should I??

Try an external USB cd-rom drive?

Don't have one.

The oldest XP cd I have, which is even before SP1, will not boot on it's own. It needs these boot FLOPPYS that you have to download from Microshaft.

I am not saying this is the problem, but how old is the XP cd you are using?

One with no SPs.....so probably the one you are talking about....Maybe SP1....not sure. I moved on to Vista...so I had to dig deep to find my XP CDs.

One with no SPs.....so probably the one you are talking about....Maybe SP1....not sure. I moved on to Vista...so I had to dig deep to find my XP CDs.

Well, here is the utility then. I suppose its worth a shot...

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F&displaylang=en

But if I were you I would [cross]go download[/cross] purchase a new XP CD before going through that shit.

The oldest XP cd I have, which is even before SP1, will not boot on it's own. It needs these boot FLOPPYS that you have to download from Microshaft.

You might be the dumbest person ever.

Well, here is the utility then. I suppose its worth a shot...

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F&displaylang=en

But if I were you I would [cross]go download[/cross] purchase a new XP CD before going through that shit.

Nice...thanks for that....I just found a device here at world that I can remove a laptop HD and connect to it. Then plug into USB...some sort of adapter....Brought the drive up on my PC as a local E:\....I quick formatted the sob...Now i gotta put back in PC and hope I can get it to boot to disc or get a new damn CD.

Thank you all for the help.

Nice...thanks for that....I just found a device here at world that I can remove a laptop HD and connect to it. Then plug into USB...some sort of adapter....Brought the drive up on my PC as a local E:\....I quick formatted the sob...Now i gotta put back in PC and hope I can get it to boot to disc or get a new damn CD.

Thank you all for the help.

Another thing, if you are trying to keep everything legal, is install windows with a pirate CD, then use the phone activation. Its kind of a pain in the ass to type in all those text fields, but it doesn't take very long. Its also pretty much no questions asked. As long as you have a license sticker somewhere, the generally look the other way.

Kenny again is wrong and Pat is right.

Putty do you have a legal CD key for xp? If so go find this on your favorite illegalz software website " windows xp 9 in 1 cd ". It has partition magic on it. You can boot the cd and run the partition software before running windows install. Just make sure you install the right version for the CD key you have. This is a very good cd to keep around.

• Upvote 1

No shit smart guy, hence me calling him a dipshit.

Welcome to my first post in this thread.

Alright so the legal copy of Win XP win no installed service packs is a "defect" since it won't boot in any of my computers. Also my legal copy of Win2k pro does same thing.

Don't go around saying people are wrong when you are not 100% sure.

incorrect. I have a copy of the first build that was released and it is a bootable copy.

incorrect. I have a copy of the first build that was released and it is a bootable copy.

I didn't say they all didn't work. I have a very early copy, as well as a beta cd (not that that means anything) that both require these disks. Of the two, only the beta CD is burnt.

I also have an early copy that works just fine.

Alright so the legal copy of Win XP win no installed service packs is a "defect" since it won't boot in any of my computers. Also my legal copy of Win2k pro does same thing.

Don't go around saying people are wrong when you are not 100% sure.

When 99.9% of the disks are bootable... it's user error. Don't cry to me your e-lover is a r-tard.