Scientists Discover Fish in Act of Evolution

ImUrOBGYN

Scientists Discover Fish in Act of Evolution in Africa’s Greatest Lake

Should this go in the politics section? ;) Anyway, for those interested in animals and this kinda thing...

http://ecoworldly.com/2008/10/07/scientists-discover-fish-in-act-of-evolution-in-africas-greatest-lake/

And the opposite of that:

"Reverse Evolution" Discovered in Seattle Fish

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/05/080520-fish-evolution.html

• Upvote 1

Didn't Darwin already note something similar to this with the size of some bird's beaks in the galapagos way back when?

I was almost positive he noted a change in length from year to year, which he believed was a direct correlation to the food available to the birds. I believe after his research he noted evolution and changes within 22 or so species of birds.

Someone correct me If I'm wrong.

The second article borders on wording that implies some Lamarckian principals, The still proliferated notion that species choose to develop characteristics rather than have a higher propensity to survive based on random genetic mutations is why many people are skeptical of evolution.

evolution = things change, no one can argue that, the average man is more than 3 inches taller than 200 years ago. Also look at how people adapted to thier surroundings when everyone was isolated for thousands of years. Which brings up the question. if a fish changes a little to become better fitted to thier enviroment, should a 5'2" asian guy be considered a different species from a 7'4" black guy? They in some ways are more different than similar animals that humans consider a different species.

evolution = things change, no one can argue that, the average man is more than 3 inches taller than 200 years ago. Also look at how people adapted to thier surroundings when everyone was isolated for thousands of years. Which brings up the question. if a fish changes a little to become better fitted to thier enviroment, should a 5'2" asian guy be considered a different species from a 7'4" black guy? They in some ways are more different than similar animals that humans consider a different species.

I believe most researchers believe that around a 3% difference in DNA is enough for something to be declared a new species. So...maybe :bangbang: