The xbox towel trick...

V8 Beast

Actually works.. seriously wtf is that about???? The video went out on my 360 while I was playing COD4. I tried switchin the plugs, changing tv's, no luck. So I go online and read that if you wrap it in a towel and turn it on it will work. I said eff it and tried it. 10 minutes later the video was back, and it worked fine :confused:

Can someone please make this make sense to me??????

I once read.. crappy solder points and the overwhelming heat of the towel trick sometimes makes it all better again.

Do you have an external cooling unit on that xbox? I have a little fan setup built onto mine that has done me well for the year Ive had mine so far.

Every time my Xbox red rings, I usually just do the towel trick right away, then its good for a few months. Works really well, but you have to do it right. Its supposed to be 25 minutes of cooking, followed by time for it to cool down completely before you turn it back on.

wait wait... someone explain this all.... DETAILED.

I have a green Xbox, i used to have a white one and it got fucked...

I want an explanation as well as what to do EXACTLY!

Google search that shiz or If I was you I would go on the xbox forum and check it out.. there are plenty of threads there on it.

"the towel trick" is NOT a good thing to do to your machine

it will cause worse problems down the road, and it's only temporary anyway

Microsoft made shitty design choices on the xbox, there are solder joints that have a lot of pressure/stress on them from the clamp used to hold on the heatsinks, the xbox gets just hot enough to stress the joints enough to crack/breakthem, causing a RRoD.

what the towel trick does is heats the xbox up to EXTREMELY HOT temps and actually remelts the solder causing the cracks to melt back into a solid solder joint, but over time it just breaks again.

the best thing to do is to just send it back to Microsoft for replacement, if that is not an option, then have someone do an x-clamp replacement, right after a towel trick

the x-clamp replacement will relieve a lot of the pressure put on the board, but then you will also need more/better cooling for your unit once fixed

the newer 360's did not fix the x-clamp issue, but what they have done is to shrink the cpu/gpu die size which makes them create a lot less heat, and they have added more heatsinks, to dissipate the heat better as well, less heat = no broken solder joints

if you continue to do the towel trick, it will fry a lot of the electrical components in the xbox and you will really be fucked then

J.R.

what the towel trick does is heats the xbox up to EXTREMELY HOT temps and actually remelts the solder causing the cracks to melt back into a solid solder joint, but over time it just breaks again.

J.R.

Electronics, heat high enough to melt solder joints, towels, kids / family room.....sounds like a risky way to me the fire dept if you're not careful.

Glad I sold my xbox to get a ps3..

Don't need towel trick xclamp fixer upper.. just plug and play I have kept mine on for 48 hours straight once I found out said "oh shit" and kept playing for 4 more hours no problems what so ever..