Myth Buster.....Hangovers.

Main3s

In an attempt to help my fellow CR members who suffer from bad hang overs. I'm on a mission to find out what hang over remedies work and which ones are busted. So I'm taking all of the advice in this thread and I'm going to try them all...Or as many as I can. So lets begin.

(Oct 4th, 2008) Myth 1 PEDIALYTE

Someone suggest Pedialyte as a remidy for a bad hangove. According to this suggestion (or myth) the pedialyte is suppose to re-hydrate you and has added electrolytes (sp) to fight the affects of the booz. Well I'm calling this Myth Plosiable. Last night I had several beers and a few jager bombs. When I arived home at around 1:45 am I was feeling pretty good. So I tried to drink the Pedialyte that I bought earlier in the day. I managed to drink the entire 1 qt bottle. I then tried to have sexy time with the GF and eventually gave up and baked a pizza. Falling asleep around 3:30 am. When I woke up this morning (around 10:30 am) I felt okay. A little dizy and the bright light took a minute to get use to, but all and all I felt a LOT better then I probably would have felt without it. The reason I'm not confirming this is that because of the horrible taste of the Pedialyte I had to chase it with several tall glasses of water, so I'm not 100% convinced it was all the Pedialyte. Add that to the fact that it's about $6.00 a bottle and taste like shit and I'd say that this shouldn't be your first choice in hangover prevention. But if you have a bottle lying around it can't hurt.

Next time on Myth Busters Hangover, I think I'm going to try and dring about a 2 leiter of water before bed and see how that goes. Tune in next weekend.

(Oct 11th, 2008) Myth 2 WATER

In reading everyone's suggestions most of them all said to drink water with some variation of when to drink it or what to take with the water. So I decided to just drink as much water as I could before going to bed. Filling a 2 liter with water before I hit the bar. I had my first drink around 7:30pm and ended the night around 12:00pm with about 9 or so beers and this time I switched it up with 3 Irish Car bombs and a few shots of Bush mills. Most of the heavy drinking accrued after 10:00pm. Even though I was concerned of the affects this next step might have on my... "testing" we stopped at Taco Bell on the way home. I made sure NOT to drink the Mountain Dew that came with the tacos so that it wouldn't throw off my findings. Anyway, I got home and tried to drink as much of the 2 liter as I could. I went to town on the 1st bit downing the water like it was just another shot, I almost drank the entire 2 liters....BUT.....Here comes the fun part. After I drank all the water my stomach felt like it was going to explode. Because of all the alcohol in there already and the new water there just wasn't enough room... soooo, yeah, I threw up most of the water and some alcohol. :( Then I decided to just eat my tacos, brush my teeth and go to bed. The results.... Well I feel kind of shitty today. I got about as much sleep as I did last weekend but this morning I woke up with a bad headache and my stomach feels like crap. So to me this myth is busted. I think that in order for water alone to counter the affects, you would need to drink a lot of water...a lot more then your stomach can handle. :barf: Not to say that it won't work to take the edge off, but I think you'll need to take some pain pills or something else to help the water work.

If you have any suggestions as to how to improve my "studies" let me know, but please understand that I'm drunk as fuck when I'm trying to do this shit. LOL

I think that in order really de-bunk these myths we have to understand that hangovers have contributing factors that are much more than what we do immediately prior to or immediately after drinking in excess. I would guess to venture that preperation would need to begin 2-3 days prior.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/hangover.htm/printable

This is a pretty good article underlining some of the possible symptoms.

This factoid is interesting:

According to studies, drinking about 250 milliliters of an alcoholic beverage causes the body to expel 800 to 1,000 milliliters of water; that's four times as much liquid lost as gained

Interesting is the "burnt toast" remedy.

So hydrate two days prior, eat a well balanced, salty/potassium filled meal with multiple multivitamins to "preload".

Before bed, two asprins, one glass of water.

After wake. One fried egg sandwich, on burnt "carbon toast", with bananna slices topped in crushed asprin.

You are doing it wrong. Drink 1 lt of water but don't drink it all at once. Drink it over 30 minutes or more. Make sure you pee a few times before bed. Works everytime I do it. Even better for your next test drink nothing but vodka or gin plus tonic water. Get DRUNK and see how well you feel the next day.

This is my drink of choice during the week.

gatorade. i swear by it.

Gatorade and orange juice. Works wonders.

Gatorade for the electrolytes, and oj for the vitamin c.

Really depends on if you are trying to prevent a hang over, or cure a hangover. I've always heard to prevent one, drink a bottle of water between each beer/drink. You drink less (since you become full quicker) and it helps rehydrate you. Here's a site with a ton of hangover cures. http://www.rupissed.com/hangovercures.html

staying awake until im sober would be incredibly hard to do. generally when im drunk, it's during the week when i have to get up early for work the next day...

after a couple beers, i have to pee every 20-30 mins, thats not an issue! but i have low platelets and am assuming beer is just bad anyway haha

You need to drink the same things and eat the same things in order to do this scientifically. You need a control feeling after drinking, and then ply the various prevention techniques.

.. i dont want to be in control when im drinking.. it's the next day i want control haha!

I did a little testing my self Saturday night. I drank a 6 pack and then played 4 games of beer pong 1 on 1. Enough I was feeling fine. Anyway I drank 2 large glasses of water right before I went to bed. Woke up with no hangover.