8.8 crosspin

Guest tbutera2112

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could always go through the trouble of knocking some more of the teeth down on the side gears to pop the c-clips off.

The problem is, as long as those clips are in there, he can't remove the axles.. and in order to remove the clips you have to remove the pin. Doesn't matter if he destroys more teeth on the gears.

Normally the pin has to be removed so you can push the axles in, maybe a half inch, that way the C-clips can be removed(genius :rolleyes: ).

Simply cutting out the C-clips so the axles can be removed without removing the pin seems logical to me. You can deal with the pin-locker while the diff is out, instead of while it's in the car, which would be a PITAAAAAAA.

Just my .02 :cool:

Guest tbutera2112
i dont want to remove the diff from the car....hell i dont even know what im doing, ive changed spider gears on an 8.8 that was already removed from a car, so im just going off of that and guessing at everything else lol...i just need the damn crosspin out, then i should be perfectly fine with the rest

those gears are soft but not that soft!

This is why I said go through the TROUBLE.

Aren't we talking about a limited slip? Stupid little clutch packs behind the side gears? What a PITA.

I have delt with this twice, the first time I torched out the big pin. The second I cut through the carrier next to the big pin to get it out, I am still driving my truck like this but it's a $500 S10 with a 4 banger with a high speed vibration (go figure).

i dont want to remove the diff from the car....hell i dont even know what im doing, ive changed spider gears on an 8.8 that was already removed from a car, so im just going off of that and guessing at everything else lol...i just need the damn crosspin out, then i should be perfectly fine with the rest

I don't think it's possible to change the spider gears while it's still on the car.. and if it is, it's a bad idea. You're just making more work for yourself. Just take the diff out since you're pretty much going to be at that point once you take the pin out to remove the axles and do it on a workbench where you can make sure everything will be in spec.

The problem is, as long as those clips are in there, he can't remove the axles.. and in order to remove the clips you have to remove the pin. Doesn't matter if he destroys more teeth on the gears.

Normally the pin has to be removed so you can push the axles in, maybe a half inch, that way the C-clips can be removed(genius :rolleyes: ).

Simply cutting out the C-clips so the axles can be removed without removing the pin seems logical to me. You can deal with the pin-locker while the diff is out, instead of while it's in the car, which would be a PITAAAAAAA.

Just my .02 :cool:

I know how it's supposed to come apart, but those c-clips sit inside the side gears. Hence if you destroy them the clips would come out. I wasn't suggesting he do it, I was just being sarcastic.

I don't think it's possible to change the spider gears while it's still on the car.. and if it is, it's a bad idea. You're just making more work for yourself. Just take the diff out since you're pretty much going to be at that point once you take the pin out to remove the axles and do it on a workbench where you can make sure everything will be in spec.

Andy these aren't that hard to do in the car. I wouldn't want to reset the backlash and hassle with that.

Guest tbutera2112

why not? i have full access to them.... and thats what the ford shop manual says to do, it doesnt mention removing the diff at all... remove cross pin, remove u clips, slide axles out, walk gears out, install new gears, slide axles in, insert u clips, insert cross pin, profit...... plus the s spring that taps in and out and the clutch packs, but im not replacing the clutch packs so i dont need to measure and shim them etc

i dont want to remove my ring and pinion gear, because i dont know how to properly reset specs on them and ill end up with horrid gear whine or breaking shit...i just wanna do the spider gears which take all of 2 minutes on a bench

Guest Removed

this must be your dumbest post ever! this isnt not itty bitty yota diff son!

his spider gears are the side of your whole diff.

FAIL try again

why not? i have full access to them.... and thats what the ford shop manual says to do, it doesnt mention removing the diff at all... remove cross pin, remove u clips, slide axles out, walk gears out, install new gears, slide axles in, insert u clips, insert cross pin, profit...... plus the s spring that taps in and out and the clutch packs, but im not replacing the clutch packs so i dont need to measure and shim them etc

i dont want to remove my ring and pinion gear, because i dont know how to properly reset specs on them and ill end up with horrid gear whine or breaking shit...i just wanna do the spider gears which take all of 2 minutes on a bench

I wasn't sure if it was possible or not :confused: but shop manuals save lives :)

Guest Removed
I'll do that when owning a ford is my last resort :)

so if you wouldnt own a or, or have never done this repair on one .....

then why the hell are you replying to it :confused:

but yet you bitching at me in PM for getting negative rep for this thread..

HINT: i didnt leave it! ;)

i should!

but yet you bitching at me in PM for getting negative rep for this thread..

HINT: i didnt leave it! ;)

i should!

He's replying because you're slow. You're supposed to take it out of the car, damn. I take my engine out of the car to change my oil. :p

Seeing how I've already dealt with a Ford 8.8 before, I feel I can at the very least, make a suggestion. Is that okay with you, or should I pass everything by you before I post?

He's replying because you're slow. You're supposed to take it out of the car, damn. I take my engine out of the car to change my oil. :p

You don't do that!?

Crazy, I really thought you had to remove the engine every time :lol:

Guest Removed
Seeing how I've already dealt with a Ford 8.8 before, I feel I can at the very least, make a suggestion. Is that okay with you, or should I pass everything by you before I post?

and what did you do, change the gear oil?

did you remove the complete housing to do it :confused: