Ford Mustang (2.3 non turbo)

DaddyBuiltRacing

My buddy just picked up a mustang fox body style with the 2.3 sohc non turbo motor in it. I have a lot of random turbo parts laying around and was wondering how hard a DIY turbo kit would be on this thing. We had a turbo thunderbirg manifold laying around and it doesnt work. I know the SVO's were turbo'd but how hard is it to find manifolds that fit the non turbo one. I'd imagine they are the same bolt pattern for the flange as the SVO although I could be wrong. Im a honda guy, not a mustang guy haha.

Also if boost is not an option where are some good places to find n/a parts or maybe even just beefier internals so it can be a nitrous fed motor. I know this is the same motor as the Pinto and Rangers but is it going to be a pain in the ass to mod?

Please dont say V8 swap, this has to be somewhat fuel efficiant for the owner. He's not wanting a 10 second car, just something that is faster then what he has now. (Dont say, v8 swap or buy another car please)

was wondering how hard a DIY turbo kit would be on this thing. not that hard

We had a turbo thunderbirg manifold laying around and it doesnt work.

probably because his car is a dual plug head. I have a turbo head in my garage

I know the SVO's were turbo'd but how hard is it to find manifolds that fit the non turbo one. dual plug head is a pos see above answer

Also if boost is not an option where are some good places to find n/a parts or maybe even just beefier internals so it can be a nitrous fed motor.

NO

I know this is the same motor as the Pinto and Rangers but is it going to be a pain in the ass to mod?

not with a turbo setup

Also does the turbo head fit on the non turbo block?

Yes

stock bottom ends will hold about 7 psi non intercooled and about 10 intercooled. If the car is already a mass air car then thats great Brian can tune it very easily. You really need a turbo head, ex manifold, intake is the same, turbo, piping, dp/exhaust, 36 lb injectors, and you should be close

Lol I understand there are bolts that bolt it on. Me being a honda guy and having done head swaps on hondas have ran into where you have to remove pins or relocate them in order to get the head on and to flow oil correctly. So I was wondering if the same had to be done here. Also with hondas if you put a GSR block on a LS head you have to use different head studs, is that the same with these motors?

Im a noob when it comes to the 2.3 motor so just trying to soak in as much as possible

Guest Removed

it will bolt right on, but you need the turbo fuel pump and find a way to hook the oil drain into the pan...just swap in a complete turbo motor, with a bigger turbo!

that bottom end of the dual plug 2.3 cant take much!

a turbo 2.3 and a 5.0 are going to net you around the same mileage ( i've had both in mustangs)

if you want to stay with the 4 banger just swap a complete turbo motor and get a tune make sure you run an intercooler either the top mount with a scoop or front mount or your really limmited to 5 or 10 psi.

mr gasket makes a nice mls hg for the 2.3 and arp makes studs jegs had the stuff in stock when I built my car

if you turbo a non turbo block your just lighting the fuse on a time bomb

Alright guys thanks for the advice. I had a 5 liter and theres no way a 4 cylinder can get that bad of mileage. I have a boosted car right now and if you can stay out of boost its alright on gas.

I found a complete turbo motor for 200 bucks so i'm gonna relay all this info to my buddy.

I had a 5 liter and theres no way a 4 cylinder can get that bad of mileage.

Actually, a 2.3 Turbo is capable of getting way worse gas mileage than a 5.0....

I would have never sold mine, but unfortunately, Medical Bills came along and I was given an opportunity to buy my MR2 back. The car was bad ass, even when it wasn't running right.

At least Dyno Brian ended up with the motor and tranny....

Checkout TurboFord.net for more info.

Guest Removed
Hmm if it gets worse then 9mpg then fuck that lol. Thats what my 5.0 got on a good day and it was bone stock. I will definitley check that site out thanks.

i have had stone stock ones getting 15 or so, being easy with 3.73's

Guest Removed
9? 15? your kidding right?

I get almost 20 out of mine with 4.10's

you drive slower then my grandma!im thinking 15 is the one i had with 4.30's, but then its not like im not on the loud pedal :p

mpg=i know care