Agree/Disagree w/ Flat Tax

Conesmasher

Flat tax is the best way to tax people that show incomes. The problem is when you go to flat tax, the reported incomes will go down. I will use myself for an example. 65% of my income is cash, the rest is traceable income. For those like me, that generat cash income, the reported income will go down.

The ultimate way to make a fair tax is the national sales tax. That will foster investment and savings among the citizens. If you don't spend then, you don't pay tax. I love it!!

I would actually disagree with the idea of a flat tax for the simple reason of lets say it was 15%. With day to day costs such as utilities, food, etc the amount people pay in those utilities is not too different between the person who is making 30k a year and the person who is making 200k a year, but stick the 15% tax on there the person making 30k is going to be hurting alot more for cash than the person making 200k. That's the reason for the progressive tax.

I would actually disagree with the idea of a flat tax for the simple reason of lets say it was 15%. With day to day costs such as utilities, food, etc the amount people pay in those utilities is not too different between the person who is making 30k a year and the person who is making 200k a year, but stick the 15% tax on there the person making 30k is going to be hurting alot more for cash than the person making 200k. That's the reason for the progressive tax.

$30k a year with only 15% taxation is QUITE livable. Anyone who can't manage that is trying to live above their means. I'd like a fair flat tax coupled with a state sales tax.

$30k a year with only 15% taxation is QUITE livable. Anyone who can't manage that is trying to live above their means. I'd like a fair flat tax coupled with a state sales tax.

Oh I know that. But here's the thing, after you take out that, and utilities and maybe food you will end up with a much higher % of flexible money at 200k than at 30k.

Oh I know that. But here's the thing, after you take out that, and utilities and maybe food you will end up with a much higher % of flexible money at 200k than at 30k.

So, why should we penalize the people who make more money?

i would be ok with a flat percentage INCOME tax, that encompasses all of our Fed/State/SS/ALL taxes in one.

but what i would reaaly like to see happen, and i agree with the most is the "Fair Use Tax" or fair tax act, something like a flat %30 SALES tax, that would mean, the people with a lot of extra income, that buy lots of lavish things, would be paying the major portion of our taxes.

read about it some here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairTax

You can spend the same ratio of your income on utilities that wealthy people do. Don't feel like you have less just because you make less income.