critisize me

Cordell

This may not be the smartest thing I've done, but this is the best place I know of to get all kinds of opinions. So here is most of my resume, tell me what you think.

Objective/Skills

I wish to work for a company that will allow me to use all of my skills. Much of my career has been as an undercar technician, but is not limited to any one area of automotive service. Prior to starting my career as an Automotive technician I had worked as an Electrician, and became very proficient in circuitry, schematics, and wiring.

Work History

Monro Muffler Brake, E Livingston, Reynoldsburg Ohio

Service Technician, Assistant Manager, August 2007 to October 2008

Tire Discounters, Goergesville Rd, Columbus Ohio

Service Technician, January 2007 to August 2007

Sears Auto Center, Eastland Mall Columbus, Ohio

Tech 2, Oct 2005 to January 2007

Columbus Dispatch

Newspaper Delivery, May 2006 to June 2008

Just Dandy Electric (now defunct)

Leadman Journyman Electrician May 2003-August 2005

Denier Electric 4000 Gantz Road Grove City, OH 43123

Commercial Electrician Oct 2002- May 2003

Miller/Romanoff Electric (reorganized into Romanoff group)

Electrician May 1998- October 2002

Education/Certification

ASE certified in brakes, steering/suspension, electrical

Hunter alignment certified

State (Ohio) Fire alarm licence

Electrical Apprenticeship with the Associated Builders and Contractors

Eastland Career Center, vocational training in Electrical Technology

Reynoldsburg High School, Graduated

for your work history, describe your main responsibilities and anything that you accomplished there, obviously something worth note, not just the basic stuff.

I was trying to keep it one page. I like the idea, but wouldn't that make the resume kind of clutered or multiple pages?

1 constant is you want to give some type of insight into what you are doing/did at each job listed. I personally like the 1 page resume myself. When interviewing and seeing 3+ page resumes I look at the objective, the first job, and then just look at the time worked on each job. Depending on the job more than 1 page can do more harm than good.

Your objective statement I guess is "Objective/Skills" area? I normally make 1 or 2 sentences at most at the top of mine. I always change it to explain something specific about the job I am applying for.

Example: I want to extend my career path to X and eventually develop into management.

You should put dates on your education section exactly like you did in work history section.

Put references depending on the job you apply for. Just make sure the whole thing is 1 page. If more then 1 page then put "References available upon request".

Also as a side conversation I worked at Miller Romanoff for a few months during your time there. I helped the network admin rewire and install the T1 and run phone lines for everyone in the office. Plus we pushed out software updates to each machine by hand. But this was all done starting at 5pm until 9-12am or so

Your objective statement I guess is "Objective/Skills" area? I normally make 1 or 2 sentences at most at the top of mine. I always change it to explain something specific about the job I am applying for.

Example: I want to extend my career path to X and eventually develop into management.

You should put dates on your education section exactly like you did in work history section.

Put references depending on the job you apply for. Just make sure the whole thing is 1 page. If more then 1 page then put "References available upon request".

Also as a side conversation I worked at Miller Romanoff for a few months during your time there. I helped the network admin rewire and install the T1 and run phone lines for everyone in the office. Plus we pushed out software updates to each machine by hand. But this was all done starting at 5pm until 9-12am or so

Thanks for the tips. I would have been in the field doing commercial electrical install. I worked on stuff like Bg Bear, and Polaris mall. I pretty much was kept doing big power distribution while I was there. I was really good at big conduit, switchgear, and termination. Would I have ever run into you?

Thanks for the tips. I would have been in the field doing commercial electrical install. I worked on stuff like Bg Bear, and Polaris mall. I pretty much was kept doing big power distribution while I was there. I was really good at big conduit, switchgear, and termination. Would I have ever run into you?

Probably not seeing as I was working in the building. The new location they have/had? that is. They offered me an electrician job but I never took it. It is good though because I have a better job now.

I was trying to keep it one page. I like the idea, but wouldn't that make the resume kind of clutered or multiple pages?

definitely keep it to one page. I've used this for my resumes, its basically one sentence. You have to really use that sentence though.

With so many different jobs you may want to focus on the ones you worked at the longest, or the ones that you held authority positions or ones that you accomplished something more than what was expected.

here is a copy of my resume I used to get my current job, you can see the pattern of the sentence structure of the experience section, the formatting is a little messed up though

Objective

I wish to utilize my knowledge base from the classroom in coordination with my varied expertise in the professional world to acquire a position in the field of chemical engineering.

Experience

Sept 2005-Present L’Oreal USA Piscataway, NJ

Engineering Explorer - ISIS

Worked as part of a multi-functional team responsible for evaluating the new manufacturing system, identifying gaps in current processes, and creating business rules and procedures for optimum performance

Coordinated the cleansing and migration of data, training of personnel, and implementation of the SAP based ISIS system

Redesigned warehouse and created solutions for supply issues resulting in increased efficiency, improved safety, and a headcount reduction of eight.

Jan 2004-Sept 2004 Millennium Inorganic Chemicals Ashtabula, OH

Process Engineering Co-op

Led project to install two $60,000 submergible pumps to prevent harmful TiCl4 releases from storage tanks

Provided engineering support for micronizer trial to improve pigment quality and reduce steam usage

Developed emergency generator project to prevent environmental releases due to unplanned power outages

Mar 2002-Sept 2003 Honda of America Mfg Marysville, OH

Environmental Co-op

Innovated RCRA spent solvent leak tracking and documentation system reducing man hours required from days to hours

Analyzed spent purge composition data for use as alternative fuel source contributing to the companies green factory goals

Developed company-wide SPCC tank integrity testing compliance schedule for oil containing tanks

Evaluated the separation of heavy metals from wastewater and reduction of potable water usage

Education

Sept 2000-June 2005 University of Cincinnati Cincinnati, OH

Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering - 3.07ChE GPA

Vice President of American Institute of Chemical Engineers UC Chapter

Secretary of the UC Engineering Tribunal

Bow seat of the UC Heavyweight Varsity Men’s Rowing Team

you don't mention anything in your objectives. be specific. "i want a job that will allow me to utilize all my skills", doesn't tell me shit. be specific as to what job you're looking for, because i have no idea based on your first sentence. are you looking for a job as an auto mechanic?? or are you interested in hanging out in the mens room smelling other peoples' shit??--i can't tell.

Do not leave gaps if at all possible. The one page deal also doesn't always apply. Remember, you have twenty initial seconds for them to want detail afterwards.

I'm still working on it, I took a lot of ideas from the beginning of yours. ;)