Street Tuned Trail Blazer SS with dyno results

DTM Brian

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/loaded321/TB%20SS/SS_Dyno1.jpg

Here is a graph of a trail blazer that I street tuned using the vehicles narrow band 02 sensors. The commanded A/F in the PCM is 12.56. As you can see the A/F is relatively close to 12.5. I was suprised to say the least. I know that narrow band voltages in the 880mv get you a mid 12 a/f. 920 mv and more usually see an a/f in the 11's. With long term fuel trims less then 5%. It made good sense to see A/F's on the dyno close to what what was being commanded.

Timing was left a tad on the conservative side for I did not know what the a/f would be like until we got dyno results. I adjusted the timing until it was knock free on a 3rd gear pull on the road. I am also told by the owner that the dyno operator did not see any knock as well.

Along with A/F and timing adjustments, I made changes both the tranny shift schedule and shift firmness along with a reduction in torque management.

I am pretty happy with my results for a street tune. :)

I was impressed with how the A/F turned out. It's dead nuts on almost the entire run. But the biggest difference by far is the transmission. Downshifts are snappy and the truck pulls through up shifts now. Good work! :thumbup:

I was impressed with how the A/F turned out. It's dead nuts on almost the entire run. But the biggest difference by far is the transmission. Downshifts are snappy and the truck pulls through up shifts now. Good work! :thumbup:

Thank you Jason.

Along with A/F and timing adjustments, I made changes both the tranny shift schedule and shift firmness along with a reduction in torque management.

I am pretty happy with my results for a street tune. :)

Since this TBSS is AWD I can only assume we tune/dyno quite a few more of this particular truck than you do (Since our dyno is AWD) but have you seen stock TBSS AWD numbers before? Typical bone-stock #s are 290-293awhp on our dyno (Sam's was like 293 IIRC). Lowest number I could find looking at 10 different charts was 288.2awhp in the heat of the summer (Temp was over 100 degrees).

That being the case, you feel it is "Good" to pick up 7-10 HP with an intake AND a tune?

Not meant to be a jab but if making 7 HP is "Post-worthy" on here (And even gets you compliments) Eric is certainly missing the boat since Brandon only ever talks about something if it makes more than 700whp lol.

Jeff

Since this TBSS is AWD I can only assume we tune/dyno quite a few more of this particular truck than you do (Since our dyno is AWD) but have you seen stock TBSS AWD numbers before? Typical bone-stock #s are 290-293awhp on our dyno (Sam's was like 293 IIRC). Lowest number I could find looking at 10 different charts was 288.2awhp in the heat of the summer (Temp was over 100 degrees).

That being the case, you feel it is "Good" to pick up 7-10 HP with an intake AND a tune?

Not meant to be a jab but if making 7 HP is "Post-worthy" on here (And even gets you compliments) Eric is certainly missing the boat since Brandon only ever talks about something if it makes more than 700whp lol.

Jeff

Not meant to be a jab but what a dick post, I mean he was just stating he was happy with the street tune with no wideband. I understand you need to plug your business especially on a TBSS since you posted some info in the vendor section, but damn man cut the guy some slack.

Not meant to be a jab but what a dick post, I mean he was just stating he was happy with the street tune with no wideband. I understand you need to plug your business especially on a TBSS since you posted some info in the vendor section, but damn man cut the guy some slack.

So if I post that we just made 7rwhp with a tune and Intake on a C6Z here I should expect to be congratulated and told what a great tuner Eric is? LOL.

I would honestly expect to have half the replies asking what the hell was wrong and the other half asking why on earth I posted it in the first place. Call me crazy...

Jeff

So if I post that we just made 7rwhp with a tune and Intake on a C6Z here I should expect to be congratulated and told what a great tuner Eric is? LOL.

I would honestly expect to have half the replies asking what the hell was wrong and the other half asking why on earth I posted it in the first place. Call me crazy...

Jeff

Go turbo some more vettes...

Not all GM motors make big power... look at LS1 F-Bodys... some dyno 280, some dyno 300+

What Brian was getting at was that he is impressed the a/f is dead nuts tuning off a narrowband o2 sensor... which it is. He also stated that timing was left on the conservative side, so the truck probably has more in it.

Jeff

So a gain is a gain, and because you only post high HP graphs is why everyone looks at you funny if you posted a +7hp gain graph. Besides you have an AWD dyno and Dynotune doesnt, so you can squeeze more HP out of it were he was using the butt dyno. All i see is the AF graph is smooth and all that was used was a narrwband O2 and he gained something.

Not all GM motors make big power... look at LS1 F-Bodys... some dyno 280, some dyno 300+

What Brian was getting at was that he is impressed the a/f is dead nuts tuning off a narrowband o2 sensor... which it is. He also stated that timing was left on the conservative side, so the truck probably has more in it.

Not to get in the middle of all this, but on a basically stock truck, the A/F is going to be dead on from the factory, they command 11.5:1 stock, and when we dyno them stock they are 11.5:1. When you change them to 12.4:1, they go to 12.4:1..... this is why you can do mail order tunes on basic bolt on cars/trucks

Let's not get into a pissing match.

Kenny made a very valid point about the differences between GM engines from the factory and their power output difference between like vehicles. My Formula, bone stock, made 314 while the "norm" for that year was 280-290.

Also, Brian did a good job considering it was a narrowband street tune. Jason did have a dyno session scheduled at a place with an AWD dyno, but they backed out since they refused to let anyone else tune at their facility except them unless he coughed up a hefty fee.

IPS and DTM are both fine places to have your vehicle tuned, so let's keep it it clean and let the vehicle owners decide where and what.

Thank you.

Not to get in the middle of all this, but on a basically stock truck, the A/F is going to be dead on from the factory, they command 11.5:1 stock, and when we dyno them stock they are 11.5:1. When you change them to 12.4:1, they go to 12.4:1..... this is why you can do mail order tunes on basic bolt on cars/trucks

I have heard this before in the Lightning world, but the AF are never dead on what is commanded but thats a Ford ECM not GM. I understand they can be vary different in the way the ECM works.

:wtf: you just lost all my respect Anthony

Oh and if my AFR graph looked like that i would be as happy as flies on horse shit

You seemed to like my valid point about datalogging your hooptie.

Your shit will look like that once you figure out what wire is crossed and/or fubar. Stock shit ftw.

So a gain is a gain, and because you only post high HP graphs is why everyone looks at you funny if you posted a +7hp gain graph. Besides you have an AWD dyno and Dynotune doesnt, so you can squeeze more HP out of it were he was using the butt dyno. All i see is the AF graph is smooth and all that was used was a narrwband O2 and he gained something.

If its a friend you are helping out for free this is true. If it is a paying customer, then it is not true at all. If I do a heads/cam on a C6 and the customer only makes a 20whp gain do I tell him: "You gained something, what is the problem?"

If the excuse is you can not properly tune "XYZ" on the street w/o a WB sensor/gauge (Which is not the case with any bolt-on LSx vehicle) then you shouldn't tune "XYZ". Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

If its a friend you are helping out for free this is true. If it is a paying customer, then it is not true at all. If I do a heads/cam on a C6 and the customer only makes a 20whp gain do I tell him: "You gained something, what is the problem?"

If the excuse is you can not properly tune "XYZ" on the street w/o a WB sensor/gauge (Which is not the case with any bolt-on LSx vehicle) then you shouldn't tune "XYZ". Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

So your saying people shouldnt try to branch out and try new things to help their business? Didnt you guys start with DSMs and 240's? How did you get into LSx's?

We dont know what was charged and the owner seems to be happy because the car drives better and more to his liking, isnt that worth the money spent even though he knows with a dyno tune could result in more power.

Let's not get into a pissing match.

Kenny made a very valid point about the differences between GM engines from the factory and their power output difference between like vehicles. My Formula, bone stock, made 314 while the "norm" for that year was 280-290.

Also, Brian did a good job considering it was a narrowband street tune. Jason did have a dyno session scheduled at a place with an AWD dyno, but they backed out since they refused to let anyone else tune at their facility except them unless he coughed up a hefty fee.

IPS and DTM are both fine places to have your vehicle tuned, so let's keep it it clean and let the vehicle owners decide where and what.

Thank you.

Thank you Anythony.

ZO6 Eric.

Thank you for staying neutral. I did not make this post to say I was a better at tuning then a competitor. I made about 5 different flashes to the truck to get the fuel trims in line. I agree the gm maf is accurate for the most part. I am not sure how both the cold intake and the E10 fuel played a part in my having to modify the tune to get the trims in line.

Fact of the matter is this.

There are some people that prefer Dyno Tune, others Eric at IPS, and the Lasotas. Go to the place you are most comfortable with and stay with them. I am sure I have old customers that go to both Lasota and Eric because they were not happy how I handled things. I can promise you I get the same thing in my shop.

We can not make everyone happy. All we can do is try.

So your saying people shouldnt try to branch out and try new things to help their business? Didnt you guys start with DSMs and 240's? How did you get into LSx's?

We dont know what was charged and the owner seems to be happy because the car drives better and more to his liking, isnt that worth the money spent even though he knows with a dyno tune could result in more power.

You are missing the fact that is is a LS2. It makes no difference if its in a Trailblazer, a C6, a GTO, or a freakin RX8.

Eric can street-tune that same truck (But RWD so my example will make sense to you) and we can send it over to Brian's (Or anywhere for that matter) to Dyno and the A/F will be 110% dead-on what it is commanded and the timing wont need to be touched. Now, on some vehicles could you *Maybe* add another degree or two of timing if it was on a dyno and you had a WB to know you were safe? Sure, but even without doing so there are no excuses necessary. This is why I can send that same tune to some guy in Florida and have it run the same and make the same power as it would here.

Get it?