Who can shorten a half shaft

starkmaster03

I'm looking for somone locally that can shorten a drive axle 1 inch. I need need the actual center rod cut down one inch, the splines exteded and a new grove cut for the snap ring. Any one know who can do it? I'm sure with all the imports around, along with the FWD domestics, someone has to be able to do this. I know I can have an inch cut out and welded back together but I don't like that idea because it is going to have an LS1 mounted to it.

Guest tbutera2112

ls1 fiero....right now its a stock motor with a g6 *i think* fwd tranny on it

how the project looking chad? last time i was over you made it sound like it was about done lol

ls1 fiero....right now its a stock motor with a g6 *i think* fwd tranny on it

how the project looking chad? last time i was over you made it sound like it was about done lol

You are correct, I had it up and running last week but the right drive shaft is to long so it is binding up when the suspenion is loaded therefore I need to shorten it.

drive line one...if you dont mind me asking what the hell are you doing... some import swap's require using peices from 2 axle's to make the swap fit

I spoke with drive line one and they said that they could cut out a piece and weld it back together which I'm not really wanting to do. They referred to to Babbit Bearring and I spoke the person that they recommended and I didn't feel real confident with that person understanding what I needed. They did give me a price of 200 to do it. I was just looking to see if any one else knew of any other places.

Like Tyler said, it's a G6 GXP 6-speed swapped into a Fiero with a 2.8L which will get my LS1 when I built my motor for the TA.

Babbit Bearring would be the choice needed then.. they do good work...just make sure he fully understands what you need.

Yeah, I think that I'm going to call them in the morning and see where they are and then run over there with the axle and explain it. It really doesn't look like it would be that hard. I have the axle apart already but I'd be worried about the balance after cutting it down.

Guest Removed
Yeah, I think that I'm going to call them in the morning and see where they are and then run over there with the axle and explain it. It really doesn't look like it would be that hard. I have the axle apart already but I'd be worried about the balance after cutting it down.

right on frank rd before 3c highway..on the south side of the street. and if he is just resplining it, the joints will still be on the same plain..

right on frank rd before 3c highway..on the south side of the street. and if he is just resplining it, the joints will still be on the same plain..

thanks, yeah he just needs to extend the splines and then chop an inch off the end and make a noch all the way around for the snap ring. Hopefully he can knock it out tomorrow.

I have a hacksaw and some duct tape....

BTW, have you considered having a lager (dia) shaft made and then the ends turned down and splined?

The two that I have were custom made and splined specifically for this project. when taking it apart the ends are more narrow as if they had to shave it down where the spline are.

Chad didn't make or measure the ones he has. So called kit was supposed to be pre-fabbed. Thus why he made all the mounts himself, and the driver's side is almost too long too.

i have some LS7 pistons you can have that don't have holes melted in them :p

kekekeke

Chad didn't make or measure the ones he has. So called kit was supposed to be pre-fabbed. Thus why he made all the mounts himself, and the driver's side is almost too long too.

Yeah, some kit alright. If I buy anything else from there, I'm going to request a picture first and only buy pieces, not another so called kit.