86 5.0 GT EFI to Carb

BlackC50

Hey guys, me and my dad are wanting to switch our stang from EFI to Carb. What is the best way of going about this eletrical wise. Just unplug the computer and what not or do we need to get a different wiring harness? Thanks for the help!!!!

like momma always said, if you dont have anything nice to say........

its very easy

the body harness and the engine harness are seperate on mustangs you simply unhook the efi stuff unplugg the computer and remove the harness it all comes in on the passenger side the body harness on the driver side has all the wiring for the lights gauges horns etc... then you need to remove the efi pump from the tank and add an external pump for the carb\

hope this helps

I havent ever really messed with cars A LOT! But the ones I learned the little things on were carbed. My dad is a wiz when it comes to carbs so it would just be easier for us. I guess ya, we prefer them. Thanks Dave, that helps a lot. So after I unhook the efi wiring harness will I need a different harness for the Carbed motor or just my electrical for the ignition and what not?

Yea, unless you have something of value to contribute. DON'T SPEAK. Not to be a prick but didn't post to get smart ass comments.

I was serious. Try and find an 85 that already has a carb and it will be much easier for you. It wouldn't be too hard to unload your 86 if it is in good shape, since the 4 eye cars aren't very common anymore. I'm just not a fan of going in the wrong direction as far as technology is concerned, especially on an 86 mustang. If I offended you or anyone else with my commet earlier, I really could care less. You will get over it.

I'm not wanting to build a ridiculously powerful street/strip car...more of a cruiser, something that will get it, sound good, and look good.

3.73 gears,convert it to mass air, put a set of flows on it, maybe an E or B cam, and some gt-40's or afr 165's, and a tune you'll have plenty of power on tap.

you'll have about the same money as going carb and less hassel

3.73 gears,convert it to mass air, put a set of flows on it, maybe an E or B cam, and some gt-40's or afr 165's, and a tune you'll have plenty of power on tap.

True I agree with people above you can easily spend a few hundred bucks and go to carb but like stated above you either need to dial your fuel pressure way down, get a non intake pump new distributor/ignition and intake and carb, talk to 88lx50 on here about carbed street 5.0s. My buddy just had a lot of problems with his stroker vert that he went carb on which will be for sale on here shortly, Leave the FI and get some mild mods and you will have great driveability, they didnt make fuel injection kits for old big blocks and other older cars because the factory carb is better... :nono:

Guest Removed

you can run a duraspark box from any of the older stuff. if it has the roller cam, take the gear off the efi dizzy and swap it to the carb dizzy, that or just msd it.

like dave said, everything you will need is in the body harness of the car, removing all the efi stuff and swapping in crab stuff drops 140 lbs off the nose of the car, you can mod the pick up tube in the tank or just add a sump to it, and run a holley style pump in the rear. i have done this several time's now , and imo was well worth it. a carb cost as much as injectors do, and you still only need 250 or so to get a good intake. MPG wont be as good, but if your old school like i am, then the carb is the way to go.

that and back when i started messing with these cars, we didnt have a 1/4 of the stuff thats out there now.

Guest Removed
I was serious. Try and find an 85 that already has a carb and it will be much easier for you. It wouldn't be too hard to unload your 86 if it is in good shape, since the 4 eye cars aren't very common anymore. I'm just not a fan of going in the wrong direction as far as technology is concerned, especially on an 86 mustang. If I offended you or anyone else with my commet earlier, I really could care less. You will get over it.

then you should have been more direct with the info in the first post instead of coming off as a asshat ;)

Guest Removed
By the way I have an edelbrock torquer intake new in box if you are interested

ebay it...they are just that great for torque... have you seen how small the runner are in that thing :( fucking marbel would get stuck

Unfortunately, the 86 is kind of a bastard child in the performance mod category. I own an 86 convertible, and here's the major problem with these mods. The 86 doesn't have valve reliefs in the pistons, thereby severely limiting cam and head choices due to piston to valve clearance issues.

Save yourself the hassle and have the bottom end done, or start with an 87+ engine. And you'll be much happier in the end if you stick with the EFI. These cars can make a ridiculous amount of power with it... even reliably.

Guest Removed

it not hard to swap in a 8.8 from a later car either

theres a guy that took his 79 and swapped in everything from 03 cobra car.(motor, trans rear end, interior and so on)

it not hard to swap in a 8.8 from a later car either

theres a guy that took his 79 and swapped in everything from 03 cobra car.(motor, trans rear end, interior and so on)

Never said that it was, just saying that he would need to upgrade that if he wanted to add some more power to it. It may have already been changed, but I don't know.

From what I have been reading...the fuel system has to be revamped and either using the existing tank, a sumped tank, or fuel cell. When you switch this do you still need to sending unit that is in the tank now? Or will the new fuel pump either in-tank or inline replace that? We are looking at running a 750cfm carb so would a 255lph fuel pump suffice?