Heathen temple found, almost 5000yrs older that earth itself!

Science Abuse

The tallest pillars tower 16 feet and, Schmidt says, weigh between seven and ten tons. As we walk among them, I see that some are blank, while others are elaborately carved: foxes, lions, scorpions and vultures abound, twisting and crawling on the pillars' broad sides.

Interesting how 11,000 years ago people made carvings of the exact same wildlife we have today. You would think there would have been a good amount of evolution in that time frame, right?

Interesting how 11,000 years ago people made carvings of the exact same wildlife we have today. You would think there would have been a good amount of evolution in that time frame, right?

Umm no. 11k years isn't a heck of allot of time. Lot's of things have gone extinct in those areas (no more lions in Turkey), but it takes longer than that to effect noticable changes.

The election is over, is it really necessary to keep your annoying political sig?

No, actually, thanks for reminding me.....

11,000 years is like a millimeter compared to a yardstick. Mostly everything around today is going to be similar to their counterpart 11,000 years ago.

Word. Just because you don't see something in the big city, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've seen a red fox in Ohio. Once.

I also saw a black panther in WV once. And not the kind that intimidates voters ;)

I've been lucky enough to see several, or maybe the same one 2-3 times. I then saw one splattered on the road in the same region I'd been seeing a live one. :(

The other I tried to shoot when I was a kid out hunting deer. ;)

I didn't realize fox were that rare here. They're very plentiful in most places I've lived. Of course, they are incredibly sneaky, so you don't seem them often. Last year, I followed a fox for 2 mi in my car just north of delaware that was carrying a rabbit it ultimately gave to it's mate and cubs denning under an old barn. I wasn't too far away and got to see the cubs, too. Wish I woulda had my camera with me. I wanted a pup so bad, but wasn't about to disturb them.

But according to Eric's first post, Earth is only ~6,000 years old :confused:
According to creationists, it is. Hence the reference to "creationist jokes".

Word. Just because you don't see something in the big city, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've seen a red fox in Ohio. Once.

I've seen quite a few red fox, gobs of coyotes, and I've also found fresh bear tracks. There are no wild wolf packs in ohio, though there are people breeding them. Ohio cannot support a wolf population without them being seen, often. People claiming to see wild wolves are seeing coyotes, or escaped pets.

Even if that wasn't the case (which I repeat; it is), just consider it a poor example. There are no wild Lion prides in Turkey. The Asiatic Lion remains only in India. Their habitat once stretched into Europe.

I also saw a black panther in WV once

...wut? Did you report it? Pics? That shit is rare, very rare. Not just rare that you saw a Cougar in WV, but that you managed to find a black one. They're really trying to keep track of them, make a phone call if you haven't yet.

...wut? Did you report it? Pics? That shit is rare, very rare. Not just rare that you saw a Cougar in WV, but that you managed to find a black one. They're really trying to keep track of them, make a phone call if you haven't yet.

Those cats used to roam the washington/athens county boarder. I've seen them more than once at my grandparents house. You could also hear them sometimes right as it was getting dark. That used to send us all running for a car/house.

Red Fox are actually pretty common in Ohio, but their habits make them very seldom seen. There was vixen with a litter of kits that would come up across the road from our driveway. The lady who lives two doors down would leave food out for them.

As for wolves, no, there are no wild wolves in Ohio. The size of a wolfpack's range would inevitably bring them into contact with humans. That's over and above the fact that evidence of wild wolves would be easily found.

BTW, regional extinction can also mean general extinction for subspecies. There are several subspecie of lions in Africa, for instance. The Swamp Lions that were the focus of a Discovery Channel series are one example. Europian Lions, Turkish Lions, etc., may have been subspecies that are now completely extinct.

What do you mean there aren't any wolves in Ohio? I've spotted this specimen about four or five times just around the Outerbelt.

http://jkibat.com/blog/pictures/teenwolf_l.jpg

I have seen him at Spice a number of times. He is always with a guy names Styles or something.

BTW, lions in Turkey and Europe didn't migrate or any such thing. They were largely hunted to extinction during Roman times, to protect herds and people, and for sport, and to supply the Arenas in bloodier times.

Correct, there are only a few hundred Asiatic Lions left.