anyone with an STi

AJ

Mines for sale... Black 06 with 45k

^My 06 is also for sale. I'll be comming back to the mainland for a while, from hawaii. Mabye permanetly. I'm not sure yet, But I need to sell mine to get some extra cash o la. If you are real serious about buying one, then PM me and mabye we can set something up. I have upgraded power but stock suspension and like 27k on the clock.

i has no moneys. i would need to sell the vette first if i do decide to get an STi

STi's are gay. EVO's FTW! Go drive an 8-9, you'll like it better.

are you kidding? its like watching a brick on roller skates at the track. plus they are ugle.

P.S. there wasn't anything good at phishy today.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's some serious suspension, do you use it?? :D

Every time I drive it... As for a serious workout, I have AutoXed a couple times. But the suspension was really an effort to perfect my STI. I plan to keep it for a long long time, so I wanted a suspension that was great for the road. But I didn't want to feel held back by it if I wanted to AutoX it or take it to MidOhio. If I was just planning to track it, I'd be running coilovers with astronomical spring rates and sway bars the size of my wrist.

He might have meant the appearance. I also think the Evo 8 and 9 are misproportioned and too boxy.

plus its mitsu, i have worked on so many of there engines i can say i will never own one. there is also talks of them pulling out of the U.S. market.

plus its mitsu, i have worked on so many of there engines i can say i will never own one. there is also talks of them pulling out of the U.S. market.

Mitsu put that rumor to rest a while back. Also, I've heard nearly the exact same comments from mechanics of the cars they work on, not always the case but I hear it a lot so it doesn't mean much to me, I know what the cars are like.

You had mentioned the looks seperately so I just didn't quite understand the comment, but it though.

That is an awesome video-

I don't know much about handling but if someone wanted to couldn't they do similar results with maybe larger radiuses as you can't spin all four tires at will with another well-balanced car like a z06? I have seen people do some controlled slides/ donuts in numerous circles like that- not sure how they do it but I have seen some powerful rwd cars do it.

If AWD is necessary why not a dirt cheap 1G DSM or if you wanted to spend some bucks but probably half as much as that terrible sounding race car a 95-97 911 Turbo. Doesn't audi have anything with awd that is able to be driven like that?

thoughts? educate me...

That is an awesome video-

I don't know much about handling but if someone wanted to couldn't they do similar results with maybe larger radiuses as you can't spin all four tires at will with another well-balanced car like a z06? I have seen people do some controlled slides/ donuts in numerous circles like that- not sure how they do it but I have seen some powerful rwd cars do it.

If AWD is necessary why not a dirt cheap 1G DSM or if you wanted to spend some bucks but probably half as much as that terrible sounding race car a 95-97 911 Turbo. Doesn't audi have anything with awd that is able to be driven like that?

thoughts? educate me...

You can get similar results wth a RWD car, but the difference in the details. With an AWD car, the car is essentially in a four-wheel drift which depends heavily on the car's intertia. A RWD car can maintain grip with the front wheels and overpower the rears to start a drift. A RWD car will have more control, but it would require modified steering geometry to get the drift angles you saw in the video. The benefit of AWD lay in the grip available for exiting the drift. A RWD car must back off the throttle to regain grip whereas an AWD car ends a drift with full grip and can put down all it's power.

Professional drifters prefer RWD for it's flexibility on corner entry and finer control mid-drift. Rally drivers prefer AWD for it's greater grip, obviously.

As for other AWD options, it boils down to the AWD system. Many AWD systems are FWD biased which would make maneuvers like in the video difficult or impossible. Other systems either skimp on LSDs or are too active in trying to correct the drift. Subaru's AWD system is very balanced without an excess of intervention from the ECU. The STI in particular provides a full set of good LSDs, while also providing a more rear-biased torque distribution (35F/65R for 04-05, and 41F/59R for 06-07). Also, Subaru's "Symmetrical" AWD is helpful for crazy maneuvers by giving you equal length axle shafts so torque distribution left to right is even andwithout quirks (i.e. torquesteer).

One cool aspect of the STI's driveline is that it can literally spin like a top if you're willing to sacrifice your power steering pump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bZOFRNExLE&feature=related

But a lot of this is moot when looking at the Ken Block video. That car is far from stock; in both engine and AWD system.

AJ you ever work on a EJ257? Not that much fun either, hell changing 4 plugs is a pain.....

if you've seen some of the stuff i've had to work on its not really that bad.

can you see the Z off road? i would get stuck with the quickness at a rallycross.

if you've seen some of the stuff i've had to work on its not really that bad.

can you see the Z off road? i would get stuck with the quickness at a rallycross.

Unlikely cars I've seen at RallyCrosses:

1G/2G RX7s

RX8

Lincoln MKZ

VW Karmann Ghia

Subaru Justy

BMW 2002

"Old" Beetle

Mazda Miata