Downloading music

Buck531

I haven't done this in years. I'm sure it's still illegal, but is it?

The reason I'm asking is my son wants to download music since he's into that stuff now but I keep telling him "no" that it's illegal and I'm not going to want all kinds of spam and shit all over his laptop.

I remember limewire. Then he just asked me about Frostwire? I googled it and it was another alternative to limewire.

Are there any options out there? Newsgroups are out. We have WOW and I'm not paying for a subscription to a newsgroup somewhere else.

I haven't done this in years. I'm sure it's still illegal, but is it?

The reason I'm asking is my son wants to download music since he's into that stuff now but I keep telling him "no" that it's illegal and I'm not going to want all kinds of spam and shit all over his laptop.

I remember limewire. Then he just asked me about Frostwire? I googled it and it was another alternative to limewire.

Are there any options out there? Newsgroups are out. We have WOW and I'm not paying for a subscription to a newsgroup somewhere else.

I love http://mp3fiesta.com/ Just set up an account use a credit card to fill your account with some money and download away. They doubled the costs early this year but it's still way, way cheaper than anywhere else. Legal? Don't know, don't care.....I enjoy the music and for about 80-90% less than iTunes or anywhere else. No virus worries, no spam, etc....

I love http://mp3fiesta.com/ Just set up an account use a credit card to fill your account with some money and download away. They doubled the costs early this year but it's still way, way cheaper than anywhere else. Legal? Don't know, don't care.....I enjoy the music and for about 80-90% less than iTunes or anywhere else. No virus worries, no spam, etc....

I'm pretty sure if you are actually paying something it is legal, but not entirely sure. i guess it depends where the money is going.

there was a big bust of a site I used to be on, Oink. pretty famous in the downloading world as it was the only time authorities have ever pursued legal action against someone other than the admin of the site.

it is illegal and that's the bottom line. however, it could be a chance for you and your son to do some honest research and maybe you could find out a bit about him. I am 100% behind illegal downloading because its not screwing the artists, its screwing the recording companies. in fact, I'm sure about 80% of artists these days wouldn't be around were it not for illegal downloading.

I could sit around and justify it all day and for me it is a perfectly fine justification; I think the mp3 revolution is taking away from recording companies and putting power in the hands of artists and what we're seeing is a struggle for the people who have the money to keep the money.

there was a big bust of a site I used to be on, Oink. pretty famous in the downloading world as it was the only time authorities have ever pursued legal action against someone other than the admin of the site.

it is illegal and that's the bottom line. however, it could be a chance for you and your son to do some honest research and maybe you could find out a bit about him. I am 100% behind illegal downloading because its not screwing the artists, its screwing the recording companies. in fact, I'm sure about 80% of artists these days wouldn't be around were it not for illegal downloading.

I could sit around and justify it all day and for me it is a perfectly fine justification; I think the mp3 revolution is taking away from recording companies and putting power in the hands of artists and what we're seeing is a struggle for the people who have the money to keep the money.

It actually does take away from the artist, as well as the producers, engineers and the recording companies. I just had a class on that. A percentage from each legal mp3 download goes to each, as well as album sales and everything. The artist themselves do make most of their money from live performances.

Independent labels are cool because then the "big" record company doesn't get anything if you are concerned with that. I think everyone that makes the album/track should get a share. Today, a lot of what you hear is done by the producers and mixers in the studio.

I've used mininova many times with no trouble. I've been having problems with Itunes so was wondering as well what else were out there for download services(legit ones).

Winamp still seems to be a radio service, did they ever do the download thing like Itunes?? They were supposedly going to last I heard.

i have quite a few sites that are invite only and are some of the biggest out there...my bookmarks for all the torrent sites i am on is in the 60's range right now lol

limewire is still ok as long as you have the pro version and just download songs and nothing else. Its what i use when i just want individual songs but for full cd's and entire discography torrents is the way to go