Suspension bushing

Twistedrx7

This is on the front lower A arm (rear) bushing. I am having a little problem getting one bushing out. I got the other ones pressed out alright. This one seems to have a metal ring around it and when i pushed out the bushing the metal ring didnt come with it. Any ideas on how to get this thing out?

With just the metal bushing

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c168/twistedrx7/1118082113.jpg

With the bushing and metal ring

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c168/twistedrx7/1118082114.jpg

I guess you've already got a new bushing, so I'll assume it's supposed to come out. Some just aren't replacable, but I guess I'd torch it out. If you don't have a torch you could try to cut it a couple times and drive it out.

What's it out of.

There is probably hope for the one with the bushing still in it, dont know about the other one.

Id be afraid to cut it, because than it might hit the smooth inside walls and fuck up the sealing for the new bushing.

Its from my Rx7. The ones that are not replaceable are the Ball joints. You have to buy a whole new control arm upper and lower if they go out.

Ah, The old pillow balls! You've probably had the steel sleeve react with the aluminum of the arm. Common.

Once you get the socket, that is slightly smaller, it will press out. Be aware that it will more than likely take more pressure than regularly needed and will move in loud and violent "POP"s at first. Be sure to wear ALL safety equipment, ie saftey glasses et al, and keep as clear as you can when cranking the press. I've seen more than one fly off the press while doing this.

Ah, The old pillow balls! You've probably had the steel sleeve react with the aluminum of the arm. Common.

Once you get the socket, that is slightly smaller, it will press out. Be aware that it will more than likely take more pressure than regularly needed and will move in loud and violent "POP"s at first. Be sure to wear ALL safety equipment, ie saftey glasses et al, and keep as clear as you can when cranking the press. I've seen more than one fly off the press while doing this.

Ha yeah i thought they wouldnt be that bad. Yet i will probably never do them again. They press in easier than out. Thank god i had my safety equipment on while doing this. I had my contraption to press them out fly out twice on me. Once on my leg and the other on my face.Even a 20 ton press struggles. Great times.

The one great thing to buy is a ball joint separator. Not the one with that is a fork, but the one that has a U shape and a finger on top to press it out. I did one side without one and it was horrible, Then did the other side with one and it was cake.

Got them both off, Fuck those bushings. I am just going to wait to do the rear. Im fine with just the front for right now. Now, i just wait until tomorrow when my new ball joint boots come in and tie rod boots.

I ended up using a 1-3/16 socket and a 36mm socket. No cutting required. Just PITA.