Tunes and Warranties

SSick06

Ok, so i have an 06' Trailblazer SS and I have been wanting to get it tuned for some time now but i do not want to void the remaining warranty. Powertrain and bumper to bumper. I was not sure whether or not i can get around problems at the dealer with a tune. I also heard that there is a new tsb as of like september stating that any changes to the ECM/TCM will void all powertrain warranties no questions asked. So, my question is how strict are dealers about this kind of thing?

I know of a company that makes stock calibrated ECM/TCM combo for a decent price that would specifically be made for my truck with my vin, is this the answer to my tune problems? Or do any of the local dyno guys have a tune that can be switched from that to stock easily?

Not really to familiar with dyno tuning thats why i am asking, any help is appreciated

Justin

Ok, so i have an 06' Trailblazer SS and I have been wanting to get it tuned for some time now but i do not want to void the remaining warranty. Powertrain and bumper to bumper. I was not sure whether or not i can get around problems at the dealer with a tune. I also heard that there is a new tsb as of like september stating that any changes to the ECM/TCM will void all powertrain warranties no questions asked. So, my question is how strict are dealers about this kind of thing?

I know of a company that makes stock calibrated ECM/TCM combo for a decent price that would specifically be made for my truck with my vin, is this the answer to my tune problems? Or do any of the local dyno guys have a tune that can be switched from that to stock easily?

Not really to familiar with dyno tuning thats why i am asking, any help is appreciated

Justin

Mod it and forget about it. Fuck it.

yes it will Void the powertain warranty. we have been getting alot of Bulletins from GM about this in the past few months and now can check to software cal to find out. even if they put the stock cal back in it will still have a different number than GM.

i always hook people up from here with getting stuff covered that most dealers would not. but i'm at a Chevy dealer in columbus.

yes it will Void the powertain warranty. we have been getting alot of Bulletins from GM about this in the past few months and now can check to software cal to find out. even if they put the stock cal back in it will still have a different number than GM.

i always hook people up from here with getting stuff covered that most dealers would not. but i'm at a Chevy dealer in columbus.

Yea i figured that but they even claim to match up the numbers two sets of numbers like 3 didgets or something, but not sure i want to take that chance.

On a different note i have been having trouble with a dealer covering the Paint chip TSB up here, I actually had a guy fax me it in hardcopy so i can rub it in their face, i have talked to them and GM all denying its existance. Any chance you could pull some strings, i dont care if it is in Columbus not a big deal. Let me know thanks for the advice

So yuor saying you can tell even if it's had the PCM flashed with the stock calibration?

My pcm went bad with a custom tune. Not only did the Chevy dealer in Dublin cover it but carried the custom tune to the new pcm.

Wow that is a solid deal then, i am assuming that you have good relations with the dealer then haha

So yuor saying you can tell even if it's had the PCM flashed with the stock calibration?

I have heard that they stock tune can be put back on but the custom tune including a flash or hand tuner still can be pulled from the ECM. Not sure if that is 100% read it on a forum.

People have told me that 06 and older ECM's do not have the ability to show calibrated numbers. I am not sure how it all works i am going all from hear say from one to another. I guess the answer is Mod it and for get it haha although it does intrigue me all the technology whether or not they can determine if i have messed with it or not.

just because someone with EFILive or HP tuners puts the stock tune back in doesn't mean the GM part number will be on that tune.

Subject:Identifying Aftermarket Engine and Transmission Calibrations 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.0L, 3.1L, 3.2L, 3.4L, 3.5L, 3.6L, 3.8L, 3.9L, 4.2L, 4.3L, 4.4L, 4.6L, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L, 7.4L, 8.1L Gas Powered Engines Only and 6T40/45 (MH8), 6T70/75 (MH2, MH4, MH6, MY9), 6L50 (MYB) 6L80 (MYC) or 6L90 (MYD) Automatic Transmission

Models:2006-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

2006-2009 HUMMER H2, H3

EXCLUDING Pontiac Vibe, Wave, Chevrolet Aveo, All Saturn and Saab Models

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non-GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non-GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different than the calibrations which these components were validated to. Repairs to engine, transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN):

1. <LI type=1>Go to TIS2WEB <LI type=1>Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)" <LI type=1>Enter VIN <LI type=1>Select "Get Cal ID" <LI type=1>Select "ECM Engine Control Module" or "TCM Transmission Control Module" <LI type=1>Select "Next" <LI type=1>Select "Complete History" <LI type=1>Print <LI type=1>Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2® <LI type=1>Plug in the Tech 2® <LI type=1>Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle <LI type=1>Select "Powertrain" <LI type=1>Select "Engine" <LI type=1>*Select "Engine Control Module" or "PCM" or "TCM" <LI type=1>*Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available. <LI type=1>*If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.
  2. Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.

* Steps may vary by controller.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY CVN's DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

If a non-GM calibration is found to be in the ECM or TCM (CVN's on the Tech 2® do not match TIS printout) - In order to document the case -- a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2® screen showing the VIN and the CVNs that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. The picture, VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed to JAY.DANKOVICH@GM.COM and STEVEN.R.BRIDSON@GM.COM for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVNs are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.

I had Brian (a local fella) tune mine and keep a copy of my stock tune. If (when?) the tranny lets go I'll just get it flashed back to stock. You can also buy a spare ECM and TCM and tune those.

Brian as in mobile Dyno? I have heard either him and IPS, I have a buddy getting some work done at IPS now they seem to know whats what. Sounds like a good idea, Most likely will be the case for me as well. Just curious what mods and numbers are you running ? AWD or RWD?

just because someone with EFILive or HP tuners puts the stock tune back in doesn't mean the GM part number will be on that tune.

Subject:Identifying Aftermarket Engine and Transmission Calibrations 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.0L, 3.1L, 3.2L, 3.4L, 3.5L, 3.6L, 3.8L, 3.9L, 4.2L, 4.3L, 4.4L, 4.6L, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L, 7.4L, 8.1L Gas Powered Engines Only and 6T40/45 (MH8), 6T70/75 (MH2, MH4, MH6, MY9), 6L50 (MYB) 6L80 (MYC) or 6L90 (MYD) Automatic Transmission

Models:2006-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

2006-2009 HUMMER H2, H3

EXCLUDING Pontiac Vibe, Wave, Chevrolet Aveo, All Saturn and Saab Models

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non-GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non-GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different than the calibrations which these components were validated to. Repairs to engine, transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN):

1. <LI type=1>Go to TIS2WEB <LI type=1>Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)" <LI type=1>Enter VIN <LI type=1>Select "Get Cal ID" <LI type=1>Select "ECM Engine Control Module" or "TCM Transmission Control Module" <LI type=1>Select "Next" <LI type=1>Select "Complete History" <LI type=1>Print <LI type=1>Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2® <LI type=1>Plug in the Tech 2® <LI type=1>Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle <LI type=1>Select "Powertrain" <LI type=1>Select "Engine" <LI type=1>*Select "Engine Control Module" or "PCM" or "TCM" <LI type=1>*Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available. <LI type=1>*If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.
  2. Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.

* Steps may vary by controller.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY CVN's DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

If a non-GM calibration is found to be in the ECM or TCM (CVN's on the Tech 2® do not match TIS printout) - In order to document the case -- a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2® screen showing the VIN and the CVNs that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. The picture, VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed to JAY.DANKOVICH@GM.COM and STEVEN.R.BRIDSON@GM.COM for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVNs are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.

CVN that was the code i was mentioning earlier, well they claim they can have those match exactly as a gm calibration would, but like i said i am very weary of this.

I tune with EFILive. My car and Starkmaster03's car don't even use the factory operating system anymore so I know they wouldn't match anything. However if completly flashed back to stock I beleive you can see how many times it has been flashed as well. If you want to mod your vehicles it would be safe to say you'd be on your own, and at your own risk.

It didn't take me a week after turning off my torque management, I broke my car's flexplate in half. Didn't take much longer to wear out the tranny.

I tune with EFILive. My car and Starkmaster03's car don't even use the factory operating system anymore so I know they wouldn't match anything. However if completly flashed back to stock I beleive you can see how many times it has been flashed as well. If you want to mod your vehicles it would be safe to say you'd be on your own, and at your own risk.

It didn't take me a week after turning off my torque management, I broke my car's flexplate in half. Didn't take much longer to wear out the tranny.

guess i am gonna have to go with NEONKILLER mod it forget it....Fuck it haha