GM Said to Study Shedding Saab, Saturn, Pontiac to Win U.S. Aid

TTQ B4U

I've put some thought into this and here's what I've come up with:

Kill: Buick, Pontiac, Hummer, GMC. No one buys Hummers anymore. They're big, ugly, inefficient. Who the hell drives a buick? I don't know ANYONE (except Kenny and COLDAIR, heh) who owns a Booick. The Pontiac and GMC brands are completely redundant.

Pontiac(killed): The G5 and G6 should be absorbed into the Colbalt/Malibu line. The G8 can become Malibu's big Bro.

Buick(killed): The MOST unexciting brand on the market today. Kill it ALL.

Hummer(Killed): nuff said

GMC(killed): This brand is completely redundant. Chevy makes enough trucks.

---My NEW GM---

Saturn (Entry level): Keep Saturn and market it as GM's entry level brand. If done right this brand could also be targeted at youth, similar to Scion. The Astra is a Sharp car, I may own one as a daily someday. Saturn should keep the Vue or possibly another small SUV/crossover.

Chevrolet(mid level/trucks): Keep Chevy's current lineup but introduce the G5 as the new Colbalt. Chevy should be GM's mainstream brand. They could target most of the U.S with products ranging from the Colbalt to the G8 (now a Chevy) to the Corvette. Chevrolet will also be GM's truck brand. Most Trucks and SUVs would be sold as a Chevy.

Cadillac: Cadillac would obviously remain GM's luxury brand. Cadillac's current lineup would remain. Changes would be required to the Escalade to differentiate it more from the Suburban. Caddy could also offer a Luxo-pickup.

Saab: This brand is interesting. Most people don't realize it's a GM product now. I agree with above posts, Saab is a competitor with Volvo. Is that really worth bragging about? GM needs to play this one carefully. Saab should be slowly revamped to put it into competition with Audi/VW. Or sell it off altogether. i don't really care much on this point. But biggest thing is this: NO [GM] badges on the fenders!

Saab, IMO, is GM's most exciting brand - but only because of recent major changes. The public hasn't caught on yet. Keep running it more as a separate entity and don't mess with it, let it ride a few more years and see if they take off. Saab could very well be the new Buick, but a more exciting Buick that still engages old people but also draws the young urban professional.

Apparently I'm smarter than I thought: http://seekingalpha.com/article/108284-saab-may-be-gm-s-best-hope-for-the-future