Ubuntu/Linux

Buteo

I need some edumacation on this OS. I am mainly looking into because dell has a killer deal on their mini 9 for about the next 24 hours.

http://www.dell.com

I have a mac and was considering this for a traveling companion for work. Any previous experience/ opinions would be appreciated.

You could install XP on it...

or you could do this http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2008/10/13519/

But anyways, if your just using it for traveling, ubuntu is very easy to figure out. its pretty simple, and should include 99% of the apps you'll need for on the go stuff.

Keep Ubuntu, its a good distro, and linux has a minimal learning curve using KDE or a similar GUI. Compatibility issues aren't as annoying as they use to be, and hardware support is better than ever. Plus it doesn't hog resource the way XP does.

Keep Ubuntu, its a good distro, and linux has a minimal learning curve using KDE or a similar GUI. Compatibility issues aren't as annoying as they use to be, and hardware support is better than ever. Plus it doesn't hog resource the way XP does.

+1

Well, I ended up getting it. Should be a pretty fun little computer, 1gb ram and 32 GB HD.

I will let others know how I like it. I am going to give Linux a try for a few weeks and if it doesnt seem to work with my documents and what not I am going to put the Leopard OS on it. Either way, pretty good deal for a nifty little computer under 3lbs.

you can get the free CD from ubuntu and run it on your regular computer without installing it, to see if you like it or not :)

ive been using it for about two years or so, and love it.

+1, the live cd's are the best way to learn the ropes.