Workout people.. v.shoulderinjury

dragknee66

So after a trip to the doc about 7 weeks ago this was determined..

http://shoulderpaininfo.com/shoulderACOsteolysis.html

What is osteolysis of the distal clavicle?

The word "osteolysis" refers to a softening, absorption, and dissolution of bone or the removal or loss of calcium in bone. At the acromioclavicular joint the end of the clavicle can undergo osteolysis. Over time osteolysis of the end of the clavicle can result in the loss of 0.5 to 3 cm of bone.

-------

~ Yes Ive already lost some bone shown through an xray

What can cause AC joint osteolysis?

No one knows for sure what causes osteolysis of the distal clavicle but some risk factors include:

- Repetitive heavy weight lifting such as overhead shoulder press and bench press

-------

~ Yes, I was actually up to 345lb working sets on bench.. now Im lucky to hit 275 without the feeling that my shoulder is going to snap into a thousand pieces.

What is the treatment for osteolysis of the distal clavicle?

The goal of treatment of osteolysis of the distal clavicle is to reduce pain while the clavicle "remineralizes". Rest or activity modification, anti-inflammatory medications and ice are usually prescribed to reduce pain. If these measures are not effective an injection of cortisone into the AC joint may be necessary. In most cases, the clavicle slowly remineralizes (over 4 to 6 months), but may take on a tapered appearance. In some cases, the bones do not remineralize and a surgical consult may be required. The surgeon may consider resecting (removing) part of the affected clavicle to reduce symptoms.

-------

~ Lets hope this gets better so I dont need scoped. Im heading in for a cortisone injection soon to help with my vaginal shoulder pain.

very common in weight lifters. pm me if you want to know a good shoulder surgeon in columbus, i know just about all of them.

cortisone usually works, at least temporarily, sometimes permanently. the surgery is really not that big of a deal as far as shoulder surgeries go