fuel prices....

Science Abuse

My personal conspiracy theory is this: Gas always costs as much as it can. The rocket to $4 was an experiement, they backed off when it hit the magic number that actualy caused measurable trouble in our economy.

Now with the credit crunch, they're being nice and lowering prices. Imagine what things would be like if gas was still $4/gallon...? No plucky elf or genderconfused child puppet could save Christmas in such an environment.

Who is "they?" "The Man" here you keep you down?

Or do you mean the stock market investors, seeing how they are responsible for driving up oil prices?

Oil prices are primarily speculative driven.

Gas prices are a leading indicator (as opposed to a lagging indicator) of the economy.

The prices will start to rise before we come out of the recession. That'll be your first sign the economy is starting to turn around for the better.

Last year's oil price spike was about 1/2 speculation and 1/2 supply vs demand problem. And it had little to do with the gas prices; the lag to the pump is about this many months - so oddly enough today we are buying that very same overpriced oil with our $1.80/gallon gasoline. That tell you anything? It tells me the price is purely fictional.

Oil prices are primarily speculative driven.

Gas prices are a leading indicator (as opposed to a lagging indicator) of the economy.

The prices will start to rise before we come out of the recession. That'll be your first sign the economy is starting to turn around for the better.

Last year's oil price spike was about 1/2 speculation and 1/2 supply vs demand problem. And it had little to do with the gas prices; the lag to the pump is about this many months - so oddly enough today we are buying that very same overpriced oil with our $1.80/gallon gasoline. That tell you anything? It tells me the price is purely fictional.

No, today we are seeing late October/Early November oil.

Gas prices dropped hard because of an oversupply of "summer gas" and a very weak demand picture.

And Eric, yes, the low prices make me leary. Then again, I have a habit of always looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Same here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about cheap gas. My subies don't get the greatest mileage. But when I fill up at $1.80/gal for 94 octane, it does make me think it's too good to be true.

No, today we are seeing late October/Early November oil.

Gas prices dropped hard because of an oversupply of "summer gas" and a very weak demand picture.

No, you're seeing Oct *pumped* oil. Not the package priced blocks. when the companies buy they don't buy an existing pumped commodity they are buying timeslices. Its the right clock. Smells like futures, tastes like (I mean ahem taxes like) commodities. They're all full of crap.

Never said anything about why the prices dropped. Just that our at-the-pump revenue is coming on the ledgers same timeslice at the $100+ barrel cost. It dont affect you or me. Just the companies. Actually probably not even them because I wouldnt be surprised if they worked some sort of closed-door-backroom-amortization style redux with the supply states.

I need to be a Shell CFO or a Saudi prince. Bastards. Damn sucks to be me.

No, you're seeing Oct *pumped* oil. Not the package priced blocks. when the companies buy they don't buy an existing pumped commodity they are buying timeslices. Its the right clock. Smells like futures, tastes like (I mean ahem taxes like) commodities. They're all full of crap.

Never said anything about why the prices dropped. Just that our at-the-pump revenue is coming on the ledgers same timeslice at the $100+ barrel cost. It dont affect you or me. Just the companies. Actually probably not even them because I wouldnt be surprised if they worked some sort of closed-door-backroom-amortization style redux with the supply states.

I need to be a Shell CFO or a Saudi prince. Bastards. Damn sucks to be me.

Oct. delivery paid $105 and Nov. Paid $90. Oct. pumped would be about Dec. delivery.

I know what I am saying. I own an oil company.

And actually, I forgot what day it is, you are seeing late Nov. oil. Takes 10-14 days from ground to pump for domestic, about 21 for imported

Big companies like Exxon and such pay on a spot price. Whatever the moving average over a 2-3 hour span is what is paid.