Attention Techs and/or Honda peeps, Need help with my Mom's Civic.

SpaceGhost

Sounds like it's an automatic, so he'd be checking that for a while. :p

Car will not start, Battery was replaced 2-3 Months ago, All lights and stuff work when turning the car on, but no start. I think it's a Starter, would that be most likely the issue? Car is a 1998 Honda Civic EX, 5 Speed Manual. Anyone know how much a Starter is for one of these cars? Someone has had to replace a Starter in one of these on here. Is it easy? I'm hoping to do this myself. Thanks for the info in advance.

I went with his account on the car... :p

I just did a starter on my '97 5spd...

Some things that may help:

- Auto and 5sp starters are different.

- The starter is located below the throttlebody/air intake hose.

- Replacement is not that hard, literally 2 mounting bolts and 1 for wiring.

- Common failure is the internal contact components, I found a walkthrough a few weeks ago on how to rebuild them fairly cheap... I'll try to dig it up.

I just did a starter on my '97 5spd...

Some things that may help:

- Auto and 5sp starters are different.

- The starter is located below the throttlebody/air intake hose.

- Replacement is not that hard, literally 2 mounting bolts and 1 for wiring.

- Common failure is the internal contact components, I found a walkthrough a few weeks ago on how to rebuild them fairly cheap... I'll try to dig it up.

YES thank you! I think the 97 is the same as 98, my friend had a 97 and they looked Identical.

Well Got the car back from honda last night, When I got to my moms apartment the starter was fine, she is bat shit crazy about it grinding. SO I figured It could be fuel or spark or both so I said fuck it and she had AAA so I had it towed to Roush. Come to find out the last Oil change she had done at a "Midas" they filled the car with a quart too much oil. Midas also told her she needed all new pads and rotors. Honda replaced the spark plugs, Cap and Rotor, Oil change, and rotated the tires and clamped down a rattling heat shield and a did thorough inspection so I knew what was needed on the car. They said her brakes were fine. :mad: Car was dirven home. Now she is coming to me to do oil changes and maintenance like I have been telling her for years. So lesson: Cheap car shops still prey on Women. Watch out ladies.....

I guess so..........

I could have put plugs in it and stuff, but if that didn't fix it, I would be out that money plus the money I paid to have Honda look at it. I'm cool with what happened, Honda checked a buch of stuff and all is good, now I know where I stand on maintenance with the vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...