Refinancing an autoloan

HotCarl

So Ive always thought this was a bad idea but never really know what the downsides were.

When buying my jetta 3 years ago I was in need for a car, fast. So i didnt really have the luxury of shopping around for my interest rate as i did for my eclipse. Long story short Im upside down on the jetta and want to either get rid of it for something cheaper or simply refinance for a cheaper monthly bill. Ive narrowed it down to turning it in for a leased car. rolling over the negative equity into another used car (not really interested in this) or simply shopping around to buy the car from myself using another finance company (most likely a credit union bc they always quoted me the best rates for my Eclipse). The car is mechanically in good condition but since my POS step dad wrecked it and has yet to pay anything to fix it its not really asthetically pleasing which fuck's up the KBB trade in value. I know for a fact i could shop around and find an interest rate 5-7 points lower than what Im paying right now through Honda Financial, but is it smart to refinance a car?

So, any opinions on this?

Normally, I would say it's not really worth it. However, if you can manage to get 5-7 points lower on your rate, it's worth running the numbers. Just make sure if you refi that you don't take the term out so far that you end up paying more in the end.

Good luck with everything.

It'd agree that it's worth checking out. I refinanced my last Mustang with 2 years left to go. I just called up the bank the existing loan was through and told them I'm shopping around to refinance and they came back with a decent offer.

As mentioned above, just be careful not to extend the term much (if any) or you're flushing money away "buying a lower payment" rather than actually saving money. When I did mine my goal was to reduce it $100/month. They took the interest down 3 points (it was already not too bad) and tacked on another 6 months and we were there. The longer term made a little money back for them, but got my bills down and still actually saved me a little off the total of the payments.