Penn ST vs USC

SpaceGhost

I guess it's just as fashionable now to hate on Ohio State as much as it's fashionable to lavish adoration on USC. This is me rolling my eyes.

I've always hated OSU because of their fans and Woody Hayes.I hear people now saying if OSU loses this Bowl Game Tressel needs to be fired.I tell them it's not his fault they lose the big games,they get put in games they don't deserve to be in because of their popularity and money making potential.This year is a great example of that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always hated OSU because of their fans and Woody Hayes.I hear people now saying if OSU loses this Bowl Game Tressel needs to be fired.I tell them it's not his fault they lose the big games,they get put in games they don't deserve to be in because of their popularity and money making potential.This year is a great example of that.

Ugh. Fucking spare me.

Tressel is the reason they lose games. You can't come into a game with the other coach knowing your plan for EVERY drive and expect to do well. Not to mention Tressel won't change his game plan no matter what, making it even easier to run all over us. I'm not saying he needs fired, but he needs an eye opener that his run run pass offense isn't going to cut it. It worked in 2002, it won't work now.

First, no one cares who you hate. Seriously, no one does.

Second, stop being stupid. Ohio State has won plenty of big games, just not three recent ones. Also, the head coach is most definitely at fault for losing big games. In fact, the head coach may be THE reason for losing big games. Have you ever heard the name John Cooper?

Tressel is the reason they lose games. You can't come into a game with the other coach knowing your plan for EVERY drive and expect to do well. Not to mention Tressel won't change his game plan no matter what, making it even easier to run all over us. I'm not saying he needs fired, but he needs an eye opener that his run run pass offense isn't going to cut it. It worked in 2002, it won't work now.

Fucking B-I-N-G-O.

First, no one cares who you hate. Seriously, no one does.

Second, stop being stupid. Ohio State has won plenty of big games, just not three recent ones. Also, the head coach is most definitely at fault for losing big games. In fact, the head coach may be THE reason for losing big games. Have you ever heard the name John Cooper?

I'm just saying what OSU fans are telling me.I think the head coach is partly responsible for losing games BUT he doesn't fumble,drop passes,get penalties(usually) or blow tackles and coverage.He can only do so much and if the players don't do their part they lose.Calm down dude,I am only stating my opinion which happens to be different than yours but it's o.k.

Pete Carol builds his squad like they're in the NFL - that's how they play - modern, cut-throat, NFL quality. Most of the Big 10 is still playing college ball like it's 1960. Now I'm not saying that any or all college teams should be playing like they're NFL farm teams. Personally, I find the way USC plays too aggressive (leading a tackle with your head, for example). But there must be an escalation.

Penn State got beat because they are not prepared for this kind of football. It was clear that Pete ran all over JoePa in the first half, then pulled back some so it wasn't a drag-out murdering. I'm sure the last thing he wants to get crap for in the off season was running over JoePa, especially if something happens to him and he dies or can't coach. Let's face it, JoePa has one foot in and he's one of the last remnants of old college ball. Do you want to kill the grandpa of college football?

It was very interesting to see Pete balance the fragility between the brutal murder of Penn State for AP style points and not pounding his personal image into the ground at the withered old hands of JoePa (unintentionally on JoePa's part, he could care less I'm sure).

Allow me to rant more...

Everyone gets all gay over the power of the SEC and they're right. Not because they have better or stronger or smarter players. On the contrary, in my opinion the northern squads led by the Big 10 still pick up the brightest, most talented players. It's all program culture and coaching styles. Most of the SEC play at a quality I call "new" college ball. A middle-ground between 1960 college and 2008 NFL. Then you look at other power house teams in the country like Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma - they play like this. There is respect for "old" 1960's ball but they recognize that a new breed of athlete exists now and they're exploiting the strengths. They play to score the piss out of the game. They play to hurt the opponent. They play to win big.

The Big 10 (and a majority of other conferences and teams, this isn't just a diss on the Big 10) live in the past. Until Tressel and others quit playing as if it's still a gentleman's game, we'll continue getting killed in bowl games at the hands of ignorant fools who can't read past a third grade level and have no concept of "gentleman".

Bright spot: watch Michigan. If RichRod can last long enough to get some talent and get his squad built they are going to run over the Big 10 and take a few national powerhouses with them.

I'm just saying what OSU fans are telling me.I think the head coach is partly responsible for losing games BUT he doesn't fumble,drop passes,get penalties(usually) or blow tackles and coverage.He can only do so much and if the players don't do their part they lose.Calm down dude,I am only stating my opinion which happens to be different than yours but it's o.k.

Okay, I agree with you to an extent, though I still think the head coach is at least partially responsible for some of those things you mentioned and, in general, is where the proverbial "buck" stops.

Also, stop saying calm down like I'm upset with you. I could care less that you hate Ohio State. I was only correcting you for saying stupid things, like implying that Ohio State doesn't win big games. It's fine to have an opinion, but when you say shit that doesn't make sense, then you'll get called on it. It's as simple as that, dude.

Chris, I was with you until the Michigan comment. I don't think Dick Rod will do anything special with them, but only time will tell. In part, I hope you're right, because I agree - Big Ten football now is boring, and needs to step it up. This isn't the old days, and you're right, it isn't a gentlemen's game. This is football, run that ball down their fucking throat.

On the other hand, I hope you're terribly wrong because I can't express my hatred for Michigan in words.

PS: I fucking love college football.

Thanks, but you still didn't rectify how a "greatest ever" USC team actually lost to Oregon State. Fact is, you can't rectify it because - if USC was as great as they're being made out to be - they never should have lost to that team. End that simple little story.

Now, is USC a really good team that is ultra-dangerous and playing just as good as anybody right now? Absolutely, at least I certainly think so. I'd even go so far to say that, if we had a playoff in FBS, then USC would likely have won about six national championships just this decade. Of course, we'll never know and, in the end, we're left with a bunch of silly debating.

I'll gladly agree to disagree, BTW. After all, I only ventured in here to rant (whine? :) ) a bit, not to be rational or make solid points or do anything constructive like that. :)

I gotta correct something real quick and we'll both move on to the sports gods for our future endeavors...

I said it has been said that USC could possibly have the best D in college football, not only this season, but ever. That's not an opinion, but fact. Stats back it up. One silly, habitual, idiotic, goddamnfuckingloss:mad:, ahem, or not. :)

I know, I went there, invoking the name and powers of the baby football jesus. It just happened, and I can't take it back.

:)

lol I'll feel you on that. I'm praying they (USC) don't lose to Washington next year. :rolleyes:

Edited by ImUrOBGYN
Quoted incorrectly

Pete Carol builds his squad like they're in the NFL - that's how they play - modern, cut-throat, NFL quality. Most of the Big 10 is still playing college ball like it's 1960. Now I'm not saying that any or all college teams should be playing like they're NFL farm teams. Personally, I find the way USC plays too aggressive (leading a tackle with your head, for example). But there must be an escalation.

Penn State got beat because they are not prepared for this kind of football. It was clear that Pete ran all over JoePa in the first half, then pulled back some so it wasn't a drag-out murdering. I'm sure the last thing he wants to get crap for in the off season was running over JoePa, especially if something happens to him and he dies or can't coach. Let's face it, JoePa has one foot in and he's one of the last remnants of old college ball. Do you want to kill the grandpa of college football?

It was very interesting to see Pete balance the fragility between the brutal murder of Penn State for AP style points and not pounding his personal image into the ground at the withered old hands of JoePa (unintentionally on JoePa's part, he could care less I'm sure).

Allow me to rant more...

Everyone gets all gay over the power of the SEC and they're right. Not because they have better or stronger or smarter players. On the contrary, in my opinion the northern squads led by the Big 10 still pick up the brightest, most talented players. It's all program culture and coaching styles. Most of the SEC play at a quality I call "new" college ball. A middle-ground between 1960 college and 2008 NFL. Then you look at other power house teams in the country like Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma - they play like this. There is respect for "old" 1960's ball but they recognize that a new breed of athlete exists now and they're exploiting the strengths. They play to score the piss out of the game. They play to hurt the opponent. They play to win big.

The Big 10 (and a majority of other conferences and teams, this isn't just a diss on the Big 10) live in the past. Until Tressel and others quit playing as if it's still a gentleman's game, we'll continue getting killed in bowl games at the hands of ignorant fools who can't read past a third grade level and have no concept of "gentleman".

Bright spot: watch Michigan. If RichRod can last long enough to get some talent and get his squad built they are going to run over the Big 10 and take a few national powerhouses with them.

I agree with you on several of these points. Don't know if we're right, but I agree. ;)

Also, I keep hearing this spearing thing. I'm only aware of two possible spears in that game last night. The first one I truly believe, was not intentional. The second one was a helmet to helmet, but was not called. I called it even and stopped bitching about the first call.:p

I always love it when Tilley posts about college football. We share so many views.

Said it before, the weepy Pac10 v. Big10 tradition in the Rose Bowl is tired. I wish the automatic BCS tie-in's were thrown out the window, but then the BCS would fall apart because no big conference would bother as they aren't guaranteed a pay day. BCS should be on merit, not on pocketbook.

Further: I love Ohio State, but they do not deserve a BCS game - they should have been in the Capital One bowl with Georgia. That would have been a great match up and a good consolation prize for a two-loss building year. This would free up Boise State v. Utah, Penn State v. Alabama, USC v. Texas. Even though it's not Texas in the NCG it still would have been a bruising motherfucking kill fest of college football. Yes please.

I guess now we get to look forward to Monday and hope that OSU can keep it together and pull one off against a chip-on-shoulder Texas. If not, 2009 will be a long polling season...

Amen. The auto tie-ins are getting old and leaving deserving teams out and I like the matchups you have there, would make for better football imo. We all knew Penn State was good but not good enough to beat USC and they should have been playing Texas. Then again USC can't lose a Rose Bowl so they have to give them a team they can beat.

Allow me to rant more...

You are correct, but I hope it doesn't change in the big 10. I watch college football for the fun and the tradition. I hate the way the SEC and USC play, USC plays like its NFL football, but these are kids in college they shouldnt already be worn out when they get to the next level. Plus the reason for college is to learn and grow, not to be football 24 hours a day. And you dont go scouting other big schools for transfers, save that for the kids that really just want to leave their school. The SEC just play like assholes, the coaches whine and complain all game and the teams are the most penalized. It honestly seems like the coaches teach their players to perform these fouls so that it works in their favor if they get away with it.

Amen. The auto tie-ins are getting old and leaving deserving teams out and I like the matchups you have there, would make for better football imo. We all knew Penn State was good but not good enough to beat USC and they should have been playing Texas. Then again USC can't lose a Rose Bowl so they have to give them a team they can beat.

I disagree, a lot of people thought penn state could do it. Plus I like the auto tie ins