CR Road Racing Day?

MrMeanGreen

This is a typical turn on a road course. The elevation change adds a little spice, but is not all that radical.

A car with high limits like the A8 inspires false confidence in drivers, and then when they exceed the limits they don't know what to do and bad things happen.

He should have known he went way deep on the prior turn, a right hander to enter the S, and was way over on the left side of the track when he should have beeon the right side. He was then not set up properly for the left hander; he should have realized this. He then could have driven straight off through the grass and re-entered the track a couple hundred yards down, and been on his merry way.

Instead, he realized he was too deep in the right hander, turned HARDER to try and get back, causing the rear of the car to come out, inducing the spn which took him backwards and sideways into the tire wall. I didn't look that close, but I am betting that he also hit the brakes when he tried to turn, further inducing the spin.

Even with a slower car, you can do the same thing. You just won't slide as far or spin out as quickly. Had he been driving a cheap POS, he would have spun but would have only slid halfway to the wall. The key is to build up your speed very slowly and incrementally. And, have somebody that knows something be giving you advice and instruction.

Stuff happens fast and you need to understand what happens as you approach and exceed the limits.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rich is dead on - also note though....

All too often people start following the car ahead (looks like a Viper) and start to think I'm catching him, I'm catching him and stop watching/driving the track and instead start concentrating on the rear end of the car ahead. Inveitably, they wind up in the wrong place, miss their marks, and crash. In some cases, I've seen the lead car go off and the following car follows them right off the track!!! Drive the track-not the car you're behind.

All too often people start following the car ahead (looks like a Viper) and start to think I'm catching him, I'm catching him and stop watching/driving the track and instead start concentrating on the rear end of the car ahead. Inveitably, they wind up in the wrong place, miss their marks, and crash. In some cases, I've seen the lead car go off and the following car follows them right off the track!!! Drive the track-not the car you're behind.

Craig, I am LMAO because most all of us have done this at one point or another.

Better yet is when you are the lead car and start watching the car behind you catching you, and then drive straight off the track. "Drive with the windshield, not the rear view mirror".

Better yet is when you are the lead car and start watching the car behind you catching you, and then drive straight off the track. "Drive with the windshield, not the rear view mirror".

Been there done that! Checked the rear view mirror WAAAAAY to late when entering a turn and visited a lot of acreage on the outside of the track. Once in the carousel at MO, once in turn 1 at Nelson - you'd think I'd have learned after the first one!!!

I'm betting only 3-4 out of this thread actually follow through on the track days...

I'm also putting aside money for this season's track days, hope to see a good group out there this year.

Now where were you last season?

• 2 weeks later...

thats what I was thinking, definately a Viper and he was definately thinking about catching him.

shifter karts allowed?

I would be interested if there are Karts allowed...even if not I think this would be a new change for people! People who don't come to the autoX events or don't have the chance to would get a new perspective!

Karts would never be allowed, nor would I want to drive one near you guys no offense lmao. I've seen how big pylons are, cars would be scary as heck. Depending on the interest and if you need the extra people I may be able to pull a few guys off the MR2 forums, I know of 2 guys for sure that do lap days at mid ohio on a regular basis. I would be more interested in logistics, I don't think i would be able to afford it this season on top of autox ing with the PCA and the SCCA.

• 2 weeks later...