Parts Modeling ideas

AudiOn19s

Forgive me as I don't even know the best way to title this thread.

Here's what I'm looking to do. I have a K&N intake on the 996. I feel the design can be improved upon but I need assistance with ideas on how to do what I'm attempting to do. I've never really done any fabrication in the past and would like ideas on how.

The K&N's main issue is it's horrible at actually sheilding heat. The cats sit directly below the unit and there's an engine compartment fan that sits directly above the unit keeping it from sealing to an alternate source of air...and allowing hot air to escape directly above the filter. I'm going to use reflective tape on the obvious areas to keep heat out the main issue I'm concerned with is how to get the intake to seal to the lid.

What I'd like to do is remove that fan from the lid and find a way to modify the intake to seal to the engine lid (and the additional source of cold air behind under that fan) but I'm clueless what techniques and materials I should be using to "build" upon the existing air box.

Any suggestions are welcome. Here's a picture of the setup on another car so you can see what I'm talking about above.

http://www.myvividracing.com/main/kn996dyno1.jpg

Andy

The only time It's ever triggered is at a DE between seessions after parking and when I didn't open the lid.

It pushes hot air OUT of the bay, doesn't draw it in. Only triggers when the car is not running or sitting still with extremely high engine bay temps.

I have unplugged it to make sure there's no associated electric issues that come up and all seemed fine.

think the "snorkel" that goes to the deck lid does a good job of pulling in fresh air, but it's not a sealed source of the K&N so it also pulls in hot engine bay air. If you somehow sealed the area around the K&N to the snorkel it would solve your fresh air problem....but would it choke down the intake?

Does your car register air intake temps? I can't remember.

Has anybody on Rennlist taken on a similar project you can piggy-back off of their experiences?

use a good panel filter in the stock box instead of that open cone and you can use the factory duct

I thought about going back to the stock box which does already utilize the stock snorkle. The performance increase on the K&N supposedly all comes from the tube design after the filter promoting better velocity on the incoming air. It's easier to do what I'm going after and seal the filter section to the deck than to re-use the stock box with the K&N tube. Plus I get a second source of pressurized cold air if I can make this work how I want it to.

box in the cone and attach it to the snorkel then?

that's what I was getting at, sorry for the confusion. Thanks for clearing it up Dave.

I guess my biggest concern with that would be if it would be choked down by going to a bigger box and then back down to the snorkel....one way to find out I guess.

Are air temps that big of a deal with the 996? What's the flow like thru that back deck, is this even an issue at speed?

that's what I was getting at, sorry for the confusion. Thanks for clearing it up Dave.

I guess my biggest concern with that would be if it would be choked down by going to a bigger box and then back down to the snorkel....one way to find out I guess.

Are air temps that big of a deal with the 996? What's the flow like thru that back deck, is this even an issue at speed?

I should really hook up an OBD II reader while we're at the track to check for sure. Car just feels like it goes soft after a few laps and I'm thinking it's sucking in hot air after everything gets heat soaked. The cats sit right below the air box and I'm guessing after a few hard laps there's quite a bit of heat generated off of them that's flowing up around that air box area right where it's not sealed too well.

don't give me that crap, in the beginning of the thread you wanted to remove the fan and seal the box to the lid.

hrm....wonder if you could rig up the fan to pull air into the bay instead of out?

what's the "box" part made out of again?

foam!

i know my uncle would take some foam to seal his carb to the induction hood on drag cars. alot of drag guys do this.

basically they have a sheet metal piece below the carb the size they need and then they cut a piece of foam that would be placed around the edge of the sheet metal, tall enough to contact the hood when shut.

foam!

i know my uncle would take some foam to seal his carb to the induction hood on drag cars. alot of drag guys do this.

basically they have a sheet metal piece below the carb the size they need and then they cut a piece of foam that would be placed around the edge of the sheet metal, tall enough to contact the hood when shut.

Thanks Ryan. I should have come up with that on my own but was drawing a blank on what I could use.