what to look for when buying a portential trackbike

e-flores

alright so i came across this when looking on the wera forums.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/1001000738.html

2 main questions...

1) the pictures are not very detailed and i know i want more pictures such as pictures of the frame and the case covers anything you guys would ask for before driving 8 hours to pick this thing up and then i decide i dont want it for some reason.

2) how hard is it to resell a bike with just a bill of sale vs a title?

and whatever you guys have to add is very very welcomed!

You need to at least get a salvage title. That way you can sell it to racers or race it yourself! Also you want as many AFTERMARKET parts on the bike that you can get. No reason to buy a used track bike unless its fully prepped! You should by my 03 750 fully prepped bike for $3200!!!! Extras included!

There should be a rebuild or salvage title. Or, they could do a Mechanic's lean on it and get a title that way. It's what Towing Companies do when nobody comes and picks up towed bikes and cars...

If no title whatsoever, GET A BILL OF SALE and have them list dealer's/business license number and any persons and contacts you made.

Hell, type it up on your own. Get a VIN# and call the DMV and ask if there is a lean on the bike. If there is, you're screwed.

I think $2500 is a little high considering you'd have to drive 8 hours one way. That 1600 miles could be 4 tanks of gas depending on vehicle, food, hotel possibly and then your time.

If you paid $1k more and got one around here, it would be a better deal...

At worse case scenerio, get a SHIT pile of pics.

By the way, good choice - those 600s are good uns...

You need to at least get a salvage title. That way you can sell it to racers or race it yourself! Also you want as many AFTERMARKET parts on the bike that you can get. No reason to buy a used track bike unless its fully prepped! You should by my 03 750 fully prepped bike for $3200!!!! Extras included!

No offense, but that 08 CBR is a better track bike... 03 750s have a soft spot in my heart, but it isn't as good a tool as this 08 600...

You can easily sell the bike as a race or track bike to anyone else as long as he has a good Bill of Sale. He could also get it Notorized (suggested) and it wouldn't be anything to sell it off later. Plus, when he goes to sell it, it will have been built as a track bike and you'd never know it looked like it does now...

You can buy an 06/07 R6 very well set-up for track for about $6-$7k

07/08 CBRs are from $7-$8k it seems.

Now, take the $2500 you have in that CBR...

Add:

1) Plastics - cheap you are looking at $400

2) Suspension - $1500 at the low end of things - used rear shock or rebuilt with new internals.

3) Rearsets - probably $200 used at best

4) clip-ons - $100 used at best

5) Fairing stay - $120 at best used

6) exhaust - $650 best used

7) Brake lines - $100

8) 520 conversion and chain - $100 best

9) misc stuff you need like bolts and such - $25

That's a minimum of $3200 to make it worthy as what you'd buy on WERA as a used race bike in similar condition (salvage title or bill of sale). That's about $5700 best deal and you searching your ass off for used parts. Plus, that drive and such, but if you'd find a good used race bike in the same area of years, you'll probably drive and get it so, it is a moot point...

So, you probably can save anywhere between $300 and $1500 buying this one you list...

You can buy an 06/07 R6 very well set-up for track for about $6-$7k

07/08 CBRs are from $7-$8k it seems.

Now, take the $2500 you have in that CBR...

Add:

1) Plastics - cheap you are looking at $400

2) Suspension - $1500 at the low end of things - used rear shock or rebuilt with new internals.

3) Rearsets - probably $200 used at best

4) clip-ons - $100 used at best

5) Fairing stay - $120 at best used

6) exhaust - $650 best used

7) Brake lines - $100

8) 520 conversion and chain - $100 best

9) misc stuff you need like bolts and such - $25

That's a minimum of $3200 to make it worthy as what you'd buy on WERA as a used race bike in similar condition (salvage title or bill of sale). That's about $5700 best deal and you searching your ass off for used parts. Plus, that drive and such, but if you'd find a good used race bike in the same area of years, you'll probably drive and get it so, it is a moot point...

So, you probably can save anywhere between $300 and $1500 buying this one you list...

yeah i have added this one up 500 different times... and you listed everything i wanted besides some rotors. i have decided that it wasnt worth it unless you could find something under $2500, then i saw this guy. and it has potential for sure.

the r6's are def. the way to go price wise when prepping a track machine, but GOD i love my honda and i dont want to stray away, though i may have to because there just so dirt cheap.

also they say it comes with a bill of sale, how hard is it to turn that bill of sale into a salvaged title?

yeah i have added this one up 500 different times... and you listed everything i wanted besides some rotors. i have decided that it wasnt worth it unless you could find something under $2500, then i saw this guy. and it has potential for sure.

the r6's are def. the way to go price wise when prepping a track machine, but GOD i love my honda and i dont want to stray away, though i may have to because there just so dirt cheap.

also they say it comes with a bill of sale, how hard is it to turn that bill of sale into a salvaged title?

The 07/08 CBR 600s are DAMN good and a great choice for track. Their downside is only that a lot of guys don't have spares floating around for those years... Other than that, it really is a good deal.

Getting a title is something that you are going to have a tough time with. PM Reuben at 35 motorsports (sponsor section) and ask him how to. He does salvage bike sales and buying all the time.

From what I know, it gets kinda tough unless on their end they can do a Mechanic's Lean and get you one...

In reality, a LOT of bikes are Bill of Sale only or have just MSOs. A lot of track only bikes don't have titles... It's VERY common and easy to work with...