Texting While Driving

El Karacho1647545492

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

studies show that people talking on their cell phone are just as impaired as a drunk driver. that shit should be illegal.

if you need to talk to someone, pull over.

Link to said study?

I can drive while talking and not hit someone. It isn't complex. The problem isn't the phone, it's the already shitty drivers. Outlawing talking on a phone while driving isn't going to make Americans any smarter. If anything needs changed, it's the driving test. That shit is a joke.

Link to said study?

I can drive while talking and not hit someone. It isn't complex. The problem isn't the phone, it's the already shitty drivers. Outlawing talking on a phone while driving isn't going to make Americans any smarter. If anything needs changed, it's the driving test. That shit is a joke.

Gotta agree here. Dumb people will be dumb. I'm also an advocate for harder driving tests, and also mandatory yearly driving tests past the age of 60.

Link to said study?

I can drive while talking and not hit someone.

Scenario: You are driving, chatting with a friend on the phone. A car in front of you in the middle lane which you also occupy is driving slower than you and you're going to pass him on the left. You hit your blinker and go to look in your side mirror, all the while trying to hold the phone to your ear. All of a sudden a car in the right lane -- which you may or may not have noticed before -- swerves into your lane. Your hand is tied up trying to hold the phone and your eyes are partially/completely distracted with your sideview mirror duties.

Regardless of whose fault it is, lets just assume you have your son in the backseat. Do you really think you'd be 100% as capable of avoiding a potentially life threatening collision as you would be if you were not on the phone? At that point, I think you'd share just as much of the blame as the other person; yes they initiated a harmful series of events, but I can guarantee that while you may be a fine driver when you're on the phone, your ability to conduct emergency maneuvers is slim to none.

Scenario: You are driving, chatting with a friend on the phone. A car in front of you in the middle lane which you also occupy is driving slower than you and you're going to pass him on the left. You hit your blinker and go to look in your side mirror, all the while trying to hold the phone to your ear. All of a sudden a car in the right lane -- which you may or may not have noticed before -- swerves into your lane. Your hand is tied up trying to hold the phone and your eyes are partially/completely distracted with your sideview mirror duties.

Regardless of whose fault it is, lets just assume you have your son in the backseat. Do you really think you'd be 100% as capable of avoiding a potentially life threatening collision as you would be if you were not on the phone? At that point, I think you'd share just as much of the blame as the other person; yes they initiated a harmful series of events, but I can guarantee that while you may be a fine driver when you're on the phone, your ability to conduct emergency maneuvers is slim to none.

If you can't make a one handed lane change you probably shouldn't be driving.

Also - I ride a motorcycle, people shooting into my lane without notification is a daily occurrence. Stiffer driving tests would teach better defensive driving and this would be a non issue. You're faulting me for a dumbass that can't drive.

End scenario.

If you can't make a one handed lane change you probably shouldn't be driving.

How about high-speed emergency lane change? Think you could do that at 60 mph with one hand? Not only getting over to the next lane but controlling the recoil from your suspension, letting out the steering you input with the right quickness so you neither go flying back in the direction you just came from or accidentally overcorrect and end up in the median?

Seriously dude, if you think you can perform emergency maneuvers with one hand while distracted you need a serious reality check.

EDIT: And I'm not faulting you for some dumbass that can't drive. Ask any cop, any experienced racer, anyone who knows their asshole from their mouth. The most dangerous part of driving isn't you, the conditions of the road, or visibility. Its other drivers. Thats why you give extra space between cars when its raining or snowing; it doesn't matter how well your car can stop or how good a driver you are, its just as much your responsibility to look out for other drivers to avoid accidents as it is their responsibility to not drive like dumbasses. If they fail to hold up their end of the bargain that doesn't absolve you of responsibility, it just means you have to be that much more careful. Your mindset is exactly the same as one of these dumbasses; "Well I'm a good enough driver so anything that happens isn't my fault". You should get that tattooed on your ass so the coroner has something to laugh at when you end up a smear on a Jersey barrier.

How about high-speed emergency lane change? Think you could do that at 60 mph with one hand? Not only getting over to the next lane but controlling the recoil from your suspension, letting out the steering you input with the right quickness so you neither go flying back in the direction you just came from or accidentally overcorrect and end up in the median?

Seriously dude, if you think you can perform emergency maneuvers with one hand while distracted you need a serious reality check.

EDIT: And I'm not faulting you for some dumbass that can't drive. Ask any cop, any experienced racer, anyone who knows their asshole from their mouth. The most dangerous part of driving isn't you, the conditions of the road, or visibility. Its other drivers. Thats why you give extra space between cars when its raining or snowing; it doesn't matter how well your car can stop or how good a driver you are, its just as much your responsibility to look out for other drivers to avoid accidents as it is their responsibility to not drive like dumbasses. If they fail to hold up their end of the bargain that doesn't absolve you of responsibility, it just means you have to be that much more careful. Your mindset is exactly the same as one of these dumbasses; "Well I'm a good enough driver so anything that happens isn't my fault". You should get that tattooed on your ass so the coroner has something to laugh at when you end up a smear on a Jersey barrier.

If you think a 60mph lane change is a complex maneuver you reiterate what I already stated - the driving test difficulty needs increased. I'm 100% positive I can do that with one hand. There isn't shit to it. Yank left, yank right. Don't touch the brakes so the rear end doesn't go around you. Wow. Hard.

I can do it on a bike with one hand too, give me a cookie.

If you would have actually read and comprehended what I said, you would see that who you are describing is not me. Daily riding a motorcycle really increases your level of alertness of everything from paint strips to soccer moms on the phone to drunks to cops, you name it, I pay attention to it.

A smear on a Jersey barrier? I've never been involved in an accident in my life aside from crashing one bike which was 100% my fault for checking to see where the person behind me was when I should have been looking through the turn and noticing the gravel I put the bike directly on top of.

Get off your fucking high horse. Outlawing cell phone usage isn't going to decrease traffic accidents just as outlawing guns isn't going to lower the crime rate.

When I am talking on the phone and driving I will put the phone down if I need to. Some asshole almost cut me off I will drop the phone mid sentence, move my car so I don't get hit, flick off asshole, set cruise control and pick the phone up.

It isn't that hard if you make driving your top priority over everything else.

Outlawing cell phone usage isn't going to decrease traffic accidents just as outlawing guns isn't going to lower the crime rate.

Idiot comment. Gun ownership can severely reduce crime rates. You think if everyone on the road talked on a cell phone that traffic would somehow become incredibly streamlined?

You're obviously not going to see the point that you have to assume that, while on the road, you are never in control. You think the girl that was unfortunately hit by a blue GTO a while back was a terrible driver? No, some shit just happened. Maybe she was ready for it and there was nothing she could do. But if I was in that position I'd sure as hell rather be 100% concentrated on the road than talking on my cell phone.

Idiot comment. Gun ownership can severely reduce crime rates. You think if everyone on the road talked on a cell phone that traffic would somehow become incredibly streamlined?

Again you show that you have the reading comprehension of a third grader. Do you want me to start replying you in crayon? Because I will, I'm using a tablet that makes it very easy to do.

Let's do this slowly, try to follow along. This is what you quoted and replied to:

Outlawing cell phone usage isn't going to decrease traffic accidents just as outlawing guns isn't going to lower the crime rate.

I bolded the key word here so your feeble brain can grasp what was said this time around.

You're arguing the point I already made (at least that's what I'm left to assume since your wording leaves it open); banning guns is stupid. An armed population is a better defense against crime than an unarmed population. Look at Chicago, DC, Australia, etc for facts. While you're at it look up Switzerland's gun policy as well as Kennesaw, GA. Read the information a few times so you comprehend. Report back when finished.

Moving on to the analogy I made, banning cell phones would have the exact result on traffic that banning guns has on crime: not a god damn thing. People still can't drive, they're still distracted. The only thing you've changed is now you can be pulled over for yet another pointless violation. Add that to other nuisance laws created by people like you; seat belt laws, helmet laws, etc. etc. Personal responsibility, in this country? Thing of the past.

You think if everyone on the road talked on a cell phone that traffic would somehow become incredibly streamlined?

Traffic isn't incredibly streamlined now. Don't pull the asinine "what if" card. We both know everyone on the road will never be talking on a cell phone at the exact same time. Drivers that are required to pass a defensive driving class like the ones taught at Mid Ohio would learn how to properly merge. If everyone actually knew how to merge traffic would move smoother. Wow, insane logic, right?

You're obviously not going to see the point that you have to assume that, while on the road, you are never in control. You think the girl that was unfortunately hit by a blue GTO a while back was a terrible driver? No, some shit just happened. Maybe she was ready for it and there was nothing she could do. But if I was in that position I'd sure as hell rather be 100% concentrated on the road than talking on my cell phone.

Did you really just pull that douchebaggery? Seriously?

You weren't there, neither was I, you have no idea if she could have avoided the hit, nor do I. Had she taken a defensive driving class maybe she could have avoided it, maybe not. Not all of us are super humans like you that have no faults, that don't get distracted and are better, more focused drivers than the stig. Spare me.

I'm going to tell you this again, get off your fucking high horse – banning cell phone usage isn't the solution and you're not the second coming of Christ. You're human like the rest of us and just as guilty of operating a vehicle while not paying 100% attention. If you say otherwise you're also a liar.

Did you really just pull that douchebaggery? Seriously?

You weren't there, neither was I, you have no idea if she could have avoided the hit, nor do I. Had she taken a defensive driving class maybe she could have avoided it, maybe not. Not all of us are super humans like you that have no faults, that don't get distracted and are better, more focused drivers than the stig. Spare me.

I'm going to tell you this again, get off your fucking high horse – banning cell phone usage isn't the solution and you're not the second coming of Christ. You're human like the rest of us and just as guilty of operating a vehicle while not paying 100% attention. If you say otherwise you're also a liar.

You're going a million miles a minute and not taking a second to make any goddamn sense.

Agree or disagree; you driving on your cell phone are 100% as attentive as you driving not on your cellphone.

Edit: Listen you fucking clown, back the fuck off this whole "high horse" thing. I'm certainly guilty of driving not paying 100% attention but when I'm driving I try to make sure that's the only thing I'm doing. It's impossible to completely pay attention when there's other people in your car; that's why in some states young drivers aren't allowed to drive friends until they're 18.

I'd love for some of the officers on here to chime in on this; how often do you see plain old reckless op or is it often accompanied by idiotic cell phone usage?

You're going a million miles a minute and not taking a second to make any goddamn sense.

Agree or disagree; you driving on your cell phone are 100% as attentive as you driving not on your cellphone.

Edit: Listen you fucking clown, back the fuck off this whole "high horse" thing. I'm certainly guilty of driving not paying 100% attention but when I'm driving I try to make sure that's the only thing I'm doing. It's impossible to completely pay attention when there's other people in your car; that's why in some states young drivers aren't allowed to drive friends until they're 18.

I'd love for some of the officers on here to chime in on this; how often do you see plain old reckless op or is it often accompanied by idiotic cell phone usage?

I'd like to tell you I'm shocked you still don't comprehend, but I'm not, in the least.

Ok - so people in your car are a distraction. You now want to ban human contact in cars? If a cell phone is a distraction what's the difference in talking to a person next to you? Radios? Banned. Speedometer? Banned. Road head? Banned.

Let's just ban cars. That's better logic, then little Johnny can't get hurt. Don't improve your awareness and ability to deal with distractions, just ban them. It's the new American way.

I'd like to tell you I'm shocked you still don't comprehend, but I'm not, in the least.

Ok - so people in your car are a distraction. You now want to ban human contact in cars? If a cell phone is a distraction what's the difference in talking to a person next to you? Radios? Banned. Speedometer? Banned. Road head? Banned.

Let's just ban cars. That's better logic, then little Johnny can't get hurt. Don't improve your awareness and ability to deal with distractions, just ban them. It's the new American way.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I didn't say I wanted to ban everything, all I ever set out to prove was that people who talk on cell phones with one hand occupied not using a handheld device are more at risk than someone not doing that. Get that through your thick fucking skull and decide whether you agree or disagree with my previous statement.

Link to said study?

Don't have a study to referr to but but it was confirmed on mythbusters. :)

Stop putting words in my mouth. I didn't say I wanted to ban everything, all I ever set out to prove was that people who talk on cell phones with one hand occupied not using a handheld device are more at risk than someone not doing that. Get that through your thick fucking skull and decide whether you agree or disagree with my previous statement.

If you had any logical thought process in your head you could figure out my view on that by yourself. But alas, we're here, with you confused, still.

Maybe that's why you can't make a low speed (er, high speed, 60mph woo!!1one) lane change with one hand?

Don't have a study to referr to but but it was confirmed on mythbusters. :)

These are the same guys that were shocked firing a shotgun into an enclosed pillar of water would result in said pillar breaking...

You edit your post right now for having road head and banned in almost the same sentence.

Gotta get that attention somehow, it's like arguing with a small child.

If you had any logical thought process in your head you could figure out my view on that by yourself. But alas, we're here, with you confused, still.

Maybe that's why you can't make a low speed (er, high speed, 60mph woo!!1one) lane change with one hand?

Making assumptions is what lead idiots like you to think people like me are saying everything should be banned while driving. Fucktard.

If you ban talking and driving you need to ban eating, drinking, picking your nose, and anything else that takes your hands off the wheel and your focus off the road.

If your brain is capable of multi-tasking then it shouldnt be a problem. People just dont know how to drive. Over half of the people on the road are stupid and should have been handed a bus pass instead of a drivers license. Fuck gun control, we need car control!

If you ban talking and driving you need to ban eating, drinking, picking your nose, and anything else that takes your hands off the wheel and your focus off the road.

If your brain is capable of multi-tasking then it shouldnt be a problem. People just dont know how to drive. Over half of the people on the road are stupid and should have been handed a bus pass instead of a drivers license. Fuck gun control, we need car control!

Preach on player. At least someone in this thread isn't a moran.