A Trust for my SBR?

schmuckingham

Trying to find out a proper way to start a trust for my SBR AR build. I was told the Cbus police cheif wont sign the type 1 form or whatever its called so I was told the Trust would be the easiest way.

Anyone have any tips or tricks?

Also, the police chief isn't the only person who can sign off on it.

Tip? Don't live in Franklin county.

Well the weeird thing is the new house we bought is in Gahanna according to the deed but everything else says were are in Franklin

Also, the police chief isn't the only person who can sign off on it.

Who else is there, I was told by a pretty good source.

Who is this CLEO anyway?

The Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) who signs the Form 4 can be any of the following people:

Sheriff

Chief of Police

Head of State Police Agency

District Attorney

A judge with the power of arrest

Any other law enforcement officer approved for this procedure by the National Firearms Act branch of the BATF

Who is this CLEO anyway?

The Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) who signs the Form 4 can be any of the following people:

Sheriff

Chief of Police

District Attorney

Any other law enforcement officer approved for this procedure by the National Firearms Act branch of the BATF

HHHMMMMMM anyone ever deal with these said authority figures on this matter?

Who is this CLEO anyway?

Sheriff

Chief of Police

District Attorney

Contact Info of any of these other individuals for Franklin County that WILL sign off?

KillJoy

I followed the exploits of a local individual going through the "Who will sign-off" maze a year or two ago.

No one would. At the time he even had the DA tell him he didn't want to do it due to politics. Didn't want to create any animosity between his dept and the sherrifs dept etc. I think the guy even went to the head Coroner as that person is over the sherrif folks. No dice. Don't think much has changed since then.

Went with the Trust myself at that point. Used Quicken. Now own two mufflers.

More info please?

KillJoy

Anything in particular you want to know? It really is pretty straight forward. Just follow along the softwares prompts. If you have a question about something the software is setup to provide answers (used that feature often myself).

The only thing I would have done differently is the name of the Trust itself. It seems to default to the the indivdual setting it up as the name. Which can make it pretty damn long. Not a big concern for me as I've decided not to bother with an SBR and the engraving that involves.

And I'll add this: You have to have a fair amount of patience. You're looking at approx two months for BATFE paperwork (tax stamps) to process. They'll cash your check within a week, don't get excited.:mad:

You then have wait time on engraving. Depends on how you go about that as to how long and cost.

If you're ordering a suppressor, and it's not one sitting on a shelf at your favorite Class III dealer, that can take a week to, hell, a year. Depends on the piece.

Like I said, patience.

So wait, I have to pay the 200 dollar tax stamp, set up a coporation through a trust, send my lower to get engraved and that lower is eternally mine?

That sounds fucking ridiculous...... I thought the trust was so you didnt have to do the tax stamp.

1. Setup trust via Quicken Willmaker

2. skip the CLEO bullshit

3. Submit paperwork + $200 for tax stamp

4. wait

5. wait

6. wait

7. get back paperwork

8. order parts if not already done

9. engrave needed info

10. assemble

Only people on the trust can possess the weapon, IIRC. However, any person can fire the weapon so long as a person of the trust is present.

There is no getting out of the tax stamp, legally.

1. Setup trust via Quicken Willmaker

2. skip the CLEO bullshit

3. Submit paperwork + $200 for tax stamp

4. wait

5. wait

6. wait

7. get back paperwork

8. order parts if not already done

9. engrave needed info

10. assemble

Only people on the trust can possess the weapon, IIRC. However, any person can fire the weapon so long as a person of the trust is present.

There is no getting out of the tax stamp, legally.

What paperwork needs submitted other than my the copy of my trust. The type 4 for or whatever?

please be patient guys I am learning here

What paperwork needs submitted other than my the copy of my trust. The type 4 for or whatever?

please be patient guys I am learning here

Form 1, I believe, which is the form required if you're building it yourself. If you buy a fully assembled, and engraved firearm from some business or some person, then it's transferred to you on a form 4.

Well the weeird thing is the new house we bought is in Gahanna according to the deed but everything else says were are in Franklin

Damn you didn't tell me you were in Gahanna... Cakewalk!

So were do I get form 1 from, ATF?

I think it's on their website.

www.titleii.com has a neat feature where you can type in all your info and it'll print out the form for you, however, I've been told that they don't have the updated forms, and are therefore useless. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but it might warrant looking into.

I think it's on their website.

www.titleii.com has a neat feature where you can type in all your info and it'll print out the form for you, however, I've been told that they don't have the updated forms, and are therefore useless. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but it might warrant looking into.

Well shit, I need the most recent form damn ut haha