Go Shelby Go!!!

Casper

This is the Holy Grail of EVs. I wonder how much this technology alone costs.

Less than the budget of the big three.

Proof that one of the two are true:

A) the oil industry owns the American big 3 automakers

B) the big 3 automakers are so fucking stupid they should close shop

I think we'll all be driving electric cars VERY soon with this technology.

"There is a math problem there, just a simple matter of watts vs amps vs volts. No possible way that the batteries capable of delivering the watts necessary to create 250HP alone from a 110 volt line in 10 minutes.

No "standard" 110v outlet will charge a battery that size in 10min. That 15amp breaker will open faster than using a compressor and a Halogen work light at the same time.

1 HP = 745.699872 watts. 250 HP = 186250 watts. That is 180 Kilowatts of power. So the battery would need to be able to generate 180 kilowatts of power."

Fucking sweet! There are a few errors in that article though, the battery will not recieve a full charge in 10 minutes from just a 110v wall outlet as it takes far more wattage than the outlet can supply. I did a research project on these batteries for a nanotech class and it took a special charger with a much higher wattage output to get a full charge in 10 min. They use a nanotanate matrix instead of lead for the electrodes in the lithium batteries so they can withstand much higher thermal loads without exploding. They cost twice as much as standard lithium batteries though, but may have come down in price since I did the research about a year ago.

edit: ^beat me to it

This is the Holy Grail of EVs. I wonder how much this technology alone costs.

So this must be why shelby is suing a cobra replica web-site where tech questions are answered . He needs the money , again.

Any idea on the selling price ?

"There is a math problem there, just a simple matter of watts vs amps vs volts. No possible way that the batteries capable of delivering the watts necessary to create 250HP alone from a 110 volt line in 10 minutes.

No "standard" 110v outlet will charge a battery that size in 10min. That 15amp breaker will open faster than using a compressor and a Halogen work light at the same time.

1 HP = 745.699872 watts. 250 HP = 186250 watts. That is 180 Kilowatts of power. So the battery would need to be able to generate 180 kilowatts of power."

There are many definitions of HP. In this case, I believe they are referring to the output of the car as opposed to the power consumption.

So this must be why shelby is suing a cobra replica web-site where tech questions are answered . He needs the money , again.

Any idea on the selling price ?

Yeah, I saw that too. I lost all respect for him after hearing about that.

Wrong Shelby..... :nono:

Very nice! But a little slow to be the worlds fastest electric car (this is a streamliner, but still a car - running on batteries!):

The Buckeye Bullet (BB1)

As the Formula lightning series was phased out, the team found themselves with a great deal of electric racing experience, but no venue in which to put it to use. After some brainstorming and discussions with existing program sponsors, the team decided to take electric racing to a whole new level and go for all out speed.

The goal: to break the world record for top speed in an electric vehicle, 248mph.

Over the next two years (2000-2002) the team of undergraduate engineering students designed and built the Buckeye Bullet. The vehicle debuted on the Bonneville salt flats in October of 2002. Over the course of 2 years of racing at Bonneville and optimization back in the shop in Ohio, the Bullet worked its way up to a top speed of 321 mph. October of 2004 saw the top speeds of the bullet and the shattering of the existing records. The new national record was set at 314.958 mph and the international record at 271.737 mph. These variations are due to rule differences and averaging speed runs which you can read more about on our landspeed racing page. The Buckeye Bullet was retired after it’s October 2004 runs, but still holds the both the national and international landspeed records in the EIII class.

Vehicle Info

Custom 500+ HP 3 Phase AC Induction Motor

Semi-custom DC-AC inverter / motor controller

2000 lbs of Prismatic Cell NiMH Batteries

4000lb total vehicle weight

5 speed manual transmission

Steel Spaceframe Chassis

Carbon Fiber Body

4 Wheel independent suspension

2 Parachutes + Conventional Breaks

Driven by a Professional Driver

http://www.buckeyebullet.com/history.htm

There are many definitions of HP. In this case, I believe they are referring to the output of the car as opposed to the power consumption.

If refering to the ouput horsepoer, then the input would need to be even higher due to losses in the motor itself (I would imagine it, like every other electric motor produces heat in the coils, wich is wasted energy)

Iregardless, a common 110 outlet can only deliver 2hp of energy with a 15 amp breaker.

Less than the budget of the big three.

Proof that one of the two are true:

A) the oil industry owns the American big 3 automakers

B) the big 3 automakers are so fucking stupid they should close shop

Can't let this pass, because it's beyond ignorant.

The technology to make reliable electric transport has been around for decades. Wan't proof? There's an electric car on the moon.

The big three are tasked with making afordable cars, sub $50,000 machines (sub $30,000, really). Making an electric car that's affordable isn't a responsibility that I'd want, giving them shit for it is a low blow.

The EV will probably be between $300,000 and HALF A MILLION dollars. GM can't sell that, so they make the volt.

As for the full charge in 10 mins: Can any of you electrical engineers theorize a device that stays plugged into the 110v outlet 24/7, yet hooks into the car to charge it in 10 mins? Trash-Can size capacitor? :p I'm willing to bet that a 2nd bit of equipment comes with the car.

A storage device within the chargin station would make it more plausible. A capacitor would be to expensive to make in that capacity. A second battery pack with similar capacity to the cars pack would be possible.

the next fun one, that much energy flowing through a connector would make a decen gaus field around it. Every compas in a 3 block radius would know every time you pluged in for a quick charge. I am sure any unshilded electronics in your garage would appreciate it as well.