Delaware: Big boom wednesday night?

Science Abuse

what about the new f22 raptor doin testing out of wright patt...those things hit the sound barrier...my dad designed the coating system on them and recently has been taking alot of trips to wright patt but cant tell me what for because of his security clearance...???

I'm willing to say they are not letting planes tickle the sound barrier over Columbus.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm willing to say they are not letting planes tickle the sound barrier over Columbus.

It actually happens a lot. Hell, in Swanton, OH the air force was doing prep work and even alerted the news stations about it so nobody freaked.

Edit:

http://www.toledoonthemove.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=250030

Edited by Casper
found the link

It actually happens a lot. Hell, in Swanton, OH the air force was doing prep work and even alerted the news stations about it so nobody freaked.

Edit:

http://www.toledoonthemove.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=250030

From the looks of the map, they could have been testing it over Columbus Airport to see if Civilian radar picks it up when it is flying over the sound barrier

My "adopted" dad was working on the F22 as well before he passed. (2 years ago).

The plane is cool as shit.

Yeah my Dad also works at Wright Patt and has been testing the engines for the F-22 since the mid 80's.

I actually Have a few pin's that were taken up in a small box on the "First Flight" with the F-22. They are a pretty rare item.

If you hear anything too loud, you may want to peek back and make sure all of your buildings are still above ground. :p How the area looking with this thaw?

Just spoke with my brother (Delaware), and he said that he didn't hear his boom untill the wee hours of the morning, 2-3am. Wierd.

haven't been back there yet but it is a muddy mess everywhere else

You could probably check the cloudynights.com forums to see if anyone on there is talking about the fireballs also. I'm not into meteor watching any more, but I used to use several radios on different AM frequencies of far away cities (depending on the direction I wanted to scan.) When you heard the station start to come in better you looked in that direction and usually could see the meteor that was causing the signal to bounce to you. Lots of fun.

He doesn't break the sound barrier in that clip. I saw this when it first happened and read a discussion about it. It's called something else (I forget what), but the 'cloud' you see, IIRC, has something to do with the humidity directly above the water. He is bookin it, though.

BTW, it's navy day or something like that in the San Fransisco Bay.

I remember hearing something around 1:30 to 2am. Not sure if its the same thing as I cant remember correctly what night it was. It sounded like someone had busted the door down. Came down and checked the house...obviously nothing.

Edit: Im in Westerville around Hoover.

He doesn't break the sound barrier in that clip.

Correct, never said he did. ;) Check out the Dayton Air Show this year. They have it in July every year, it's always humid, and you are almost guaranteed to see a vapor cone or two.

Frost quakes are possible, but I don't know what the weather was like up there on weds... how was it?

He doesn't break the sound barrier in that clip. I saw this when it first happened and read a discussion about it. It's called something else (I forget what), but the 'cloud' you see, IIRC, has something to do with the humidity directly above the water. He is bookin it, though.

BTW, it's navy day or something like that in the San Fransisco Bay.

He broke it in the last second of the clip. There has to be precise barometric pressures and atmosphereic conditions for the "cloud" to appear.

Correct, never said he did. ;) Check out the Dayton Air Show this year. They have it in July every year, it's always humid, and you are almost guaranteed to see a vapor cone or two.

Gone every year for the past 4 years. Will most likely be attending this year as well. :cool:

Oh, and I was commenting on the fact that the vid title said he was breaking the SB.

Is the dayton air show worth it? I thought I heard the faint sound of a boom in the very last second of the clip,my mistake.

Edit: I was curious and looked up the sound barrier and its approx 761.2 MPH:eek:

Completely worth it, IMO. My dick hurts just as bad as my sunburn does at the end of the day due to my 8-10 hour hard on from all the cool shit.

Completely worth it, IMO.

I'll second that. I also forget my sunblock every year. The last time we went, we set up under the wing of a .... shit.. don't remember, C130? Either way, it was shade and we could see the show.

Unfortunately, that was 2007, never going to forget that. :(