Latest in high def TV's?

Slimpsy1647545505

Looking to move my current 42" 1080p in my living room to bedroom and get a 52" for the living room. My current one is about a year old, it's a philips, from their newest eco-tv line. . . I love it. . . and did a lot of research before buying it. . . however I've been hearing of some new technologies, and people are trying to push 120hz now and such with high def TV's (vs most at 60hz). . . . what should I be looking for in this upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

the 120hz vs 60hz thing is mostly a sham, although it does have a little merit for dvd's. Here's the best way to look at it...

All television (HD, SD, everything) is shot at 30 frames per second. a 60hz tv refreshes the screen 60 times per second. So, for every frame (aka, still picture), the tv refreshes two times. On a 120hz tv, it would refresh 4 times for every still image. This makes no difference.

All movies are shot at 24 fps. As you can tell, 60 is not a multiple of 24, so your 60hz tv is left to do some interpolation of this, known as 3:2 pulldown. Since 120 is a multiple of 24, a 120hz tv does not have to interpolate anything to display movies. I've never had a very good back to back comparison, but I don't think the difference is that noticable.

If you don't know already, head over to http://www.avsforum.com for all the answers you could want to anything.

+1 for AVS forum.

When you go buy a tv, check for the model on there to find "tuning" for your particular model. Basically, it's what settings in the picture menu produced the best picture possible, as tested with light and dark meters, etc....

Shit is crazy over there.

I didn't know that turboed, and all I really use my 60hz bigscreen for is games and dvd's. Oh well, still looks fine to me.

It will look fine, yeah. Think about it, TV's have been doing 3:2 pulldown since betamax and vhs were dueling it out. 120hz should only be a tiny bit better, not a big deal. Just some things you won't hear at your local best buy...

+1 for AVS forum.

Shit is crazy over there.

Haha, that sums up avsforum pretty well. There is a 100+ page thread on literally every single audio/video product that has ever hit the market... ever. The only problem is, someone can find some problem with just about everything, so it's hard to find a tv you really want to buy.