Another plane down!? WTF!?

Casper

It has deicing boots on the props, but no system is fool proof. My guess is they will find the deicing system was on, but some sort of failure in the system. The leading edge of the props and the wings have a rubber boot that inflates and deflates breaking the ice away. The leading edge of any wing is always susceptible to damage from debris or bird strike.

NTSB just released the fact the plane was on autopilot on approach to buffalo when it made a violent turn and kicked out of autopilot, then dropped 800 feet to the ground in 5 seconds. sounds like ice buildup led the a/p to correct for wing icing, kicked out, and the pilot couldn't correct in time. Fox news stated that the plane was in a/p at the time of impact, and i posted as much.

Still curious to find out how the plane ended up hitting the ground flat, like it feel straight out of the sky.

Edited by Bentley
Fox news can't report shit right...

NTSB just released the fact the plane was on autopilot on approach to buffalo when it made a violent turn and kicked out of autopilot, then dropped 800 feet to the ground in 5 seconds. sounds like ice buildup led the a/p to correct for wing icing, kicked out, and the pilot couldn't correct in time. Fox news stated that the plane was in a/p at the time of impact, and i posted as much.

Still curious to find out how the plane ended up hitting the ground flat, like it feel straight out of the sky.

When you get wing icing, you are decreasing the amount of lift produced on the wing and increasing the drag coefficient. At a certain airspeed where weight overcomes lift you have an aerodynamic stall and basically sink towards the ground.

The aircraft was flying slow preparing for approach in to Buffalo. In approach you are at a higher pitch angle than normal flight. Flying in icing conditions this is bad because ice tends to form underneath of the wing instead of on the leading edge where it could be broken away by the deicing boots. With icing conditions it is standard to fly at an icing penetration speed to make up for the potential loss of lift and prevent ice from forming underneath the wings. The crew reported significant ice so I'm sure they had increased their airspeed and were aware of the danger.

Where they screwed up was retracting their flaps. Flaps increase lift and drag at the same time to allow the airplane to fly at a slower airspeed. When you retract the wing flaps you are decreasing lift and could stall the airplane. My theory is that they entered into a stall, recovered, and then in the rush to return to normal flight by retracting the landing gear to reduce drag, they also retracted their flaps. This put them in to a secondary stall which they could not recover from due to the low altitude.