2001 Maxima-strange sound

1quikta

My DOHC 3.0 2001 Nissan Maxima (auto trans) has a strange sound coming from the front of the engine compartment when turned off. It is related to the "Engine Control #2" fuse. It sounds like an electric motor that will not quit running. Pull the fuse and it is off. I know the active engine mount is controlled off that fuse. Anyone know anything about that?

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with the active motor mounts in a 5th gen Maxima. I truthfully haven't had time to deal with it. I sold my wifes SUV and she is driving the Maxima and I can't find any time to check it out. I need to unplug the mount and see if it stops, will do that tonight.

Guest Removed
Just wondering if anyone has dealt with the active motor mounts in a 5th gen Maxima. I truthfully haven't had time to deal with it. I sold my wifes SUV and she is driving the Maxima and I can't find any time to check it out. I need to unplug the mount and see if it stops, will do that tonight.

well it sounds like a controller issue of some sort. unless there is a short in the mount.

Guest Removed
I had a TCS light and ABS come on and off today. Also, had my alternator tested, yeah I need a new one of those too. Think it may be the ABS actuator assembly.

thats what i was thinking from the beginning.but knowing where a noise is coming from on the net is just so easy to hear.

thats what i was thinking from the beginning.but knowing where a noise is coming from on the net is just so easy to hear.

Thanks Gearhead. I figure that ABS assembly is bad. Now to find a used one. I have to run back to Columbus soon anyway, pick up a 3rd row seat for the new "2006" Denali. It was missing.

its the motor mount, i worked for nissan for about 4 years and saw hundreds of these things come in. every time we saw it come in, we just replaced it if it was under warranty, but i dont know what the problem is or if there is even a problem at all. we saw theses on the maximas and muranos

Hey dfresh, you are correct. I unplugged it last night and the sound is gone. I have read on the Maxima boards that guys are running with these unplugged and zero issues. How true is this and how hard is the mount to replace/cost?

I also had an issue with the charging system. Came up to C'bus last weekend and on the way home the battery and brake lights came on. I stopped at Advance for an in car test and the alternator was suspect. I limped the car home (2.5hrs), if I stayed above 2K RPM it would go off at first, then that was of no use.

I took the alt off and had it checked. Two different place checked it out OK, said the belt was slipping. Reinstalled it with a new belt and it fires up at 14.54 volts. Let it run for 5-10 minutes and it drops to 12.04 across the battery and alt terminal both. Does the regulator sound fried? I have time to pull it again this morning, but what a PITA.