WTB 420A motor for a 99 Eclipse

allblack325i

Rather then taking the time to replace a broken connecting rod I'm just going to skip that head ache and replace the entire motor. I'm not exactly sure as to what all cars have this same motor in it but the car it's going into is a 99 non turbo eclipse gs. If anyone could help me out I'd appriciate it emensly!

The DOHC can be found in Neon, Breeze, Stratus, and PT Cruiser (export versions), as well as the Eclispe, Avenger, and Sebring Coupe. It has a black valve cover and says DOHC 2.O Liter on it.

For 6 grand I'll sell you a built motor and toss in a 98 eclipse body with turbo kit and all the fixin's.

2 1/2" turboback exhaust

2.0 liter 420a short block crate motor

Clevite 77 main bearing and rod bearing set

Eagle forged long rods

Fmu- Fuel management unit

JE pistons 8.6-1 compression

Melling oil pump

Nology hotwires

Optima blue top battery

Race balanced crankshaft and rotating assembly

Ractive muffler

Spearco front mount intercooler

Star exhaust manifold

Tial 38mm wastegate

Total Seal piston rings

Turbo Xs rfl blowoff valve

Turbonetics T3-T04E turbo 0 miles!!

Turbosmart manual boost controller

Walbro fuel pump

Tial 38 mm wastegate

clutch 10 miles!

780cc injectors BRAND NEW, not installed

I think that's everything. The engine was started with a BRAND NEW block, not the old one. It was built by Evans Automotive on Morse Road. At 7psi it's around 200hp, and at 19psi it is around 450hp. The engine is built to withstand 600hp. I will sell it all to you for $5,000.

You talking wheel or crank numbers here? If its wheel you may be one of the only people in 420a history to make 450hp on 19psi, especially with a 50 trim and FMU setup. My car on 18psi + pump made 383 wheel (which if you research on the 2gnt forums or neons.org is a bit on the high side) but I have pretty much stage 4 setup with a standalone. One of the mods' ,Thura, car made about 400 wheel on 25psi on a similar setup.

Josh you should be able to source a motor at pick-n-pull very easy since it's such a common motor. Go to http://www.car-part.com, put in 1997 Eclipse Engine and you'll get about 50 hits here in columbus. Marshalls already has them pulled and offers a warranty for 699.

hey guys, finally tore the engine apart and after dropping the oil pan and finding big ass chunks of my connecting rod and rod bearings in the bottom of the pan, I started to inspect the cylinder wall and sure enough it was all chewed up..... So just for the hell of it I started to tear apart the head and when lifing it off the block I found part of a valve sitting on top of one of my pistons.. Needless to say the motors is garbage!

However I found a 420a on craigslist that came out of a 96 neon.... will this work in my car? and if so is there anything else besides the motor that I need? (i.e. wiring harness< computer?....)

hey guys, finally tore the engine apart and after dropping the oil pan and finding big ass chunks of my connecting rod and rod bearings in the bottom of the pan, I started to inspect the cylinder wall and sure enough it was all chewed up..... So just for the hell of it I started to tear apart the head and when lifing it off the block I found part of a valve sitting on top of one of my pistons.. Needless to say the motors is garbage!

However I found a 420a on craigslist that came out of a 96 neon.... will this work in my car? and if so is there anything else besides the motor that I need? (i.e. wiring harness< computer?....)

That block should be find as long as it DOHC. You don't need any of the wiring harness or computer, or any of the bolt-ons. You need the block. The head wont work b/c the exhaust and intake cams are switched so you'll need your head from your motor. So you'll also need a gasket kit and new timing parts. Since your replacing all that stuff you might as well toss on a new oil pump b/c its not too expensive and you'll already be balls deep into the work. Most of the timing parts can be sourced locally, or check out howellautomotive.com.

Chad you aren't allowed to sell your car anyhow. ;D With how much shit you've been through with that car it'd be like a betrayal... but you'd have more cash in your pocket hahaha

At this point I just need to see an Evo in my garage or I won't be happy. I love my car and it will suck to go to something more expensive and slower (for the time being), but in the end it will be a much better platform.

No Chrysler vehicle is going to have a direct swap eninge that can be used in the Eclipse. The 2.0L DOHC Chrysler motor BLOCK is the only thing that was built off the 420A. Everything except the block is different from the Mits motor. If you want a direct swap, you are going to need to find a Mits with the 420A.

Well after the night I had I've came to the conclusion that I'm giving up on the car. I called cantley's this morning and after talking to 2 different people and being quoted 250 by each person I had a friend take me up there to pick up the motor only to after getting there be told they "misquoted" me and the motor isn't 250 but 800. I don't understand how both the people I called and talked to both said 250??? Anyways so leave there and head back to town and start calling everyone looking for a motor.. Get word that here in town was a 98 talon that was wrecked in the front but the motor looked to be untouched. Talked to the guy that owned it and he said he wanted 200 for the whole car....so as I check it out I was gonna give the kid 300 cause I could part out the good stuff and make money on it. Well his dad came out and informed us he sold the car earlier today..... So kicked in the balls again. Finally find another motor in akron after talking to the guy and and agreeing on 300 we make it to 77 I believe heading toward akron/canton only to have him call back and say he needs 500 out of it. So yea, needless to say I'm finished. This is a good couple weeks now I been looking and this shit keeps playing with me... So I'm throwing in the towel.

I've asked this over on the cdsm site but no response was hoping someone here could help me out.

Hey guys figured I'd let ya know I found and bought a motor!!! Lol even have a warranty with it as well! Bad news is I seem to be having one hell of a time taking the old motor out. Everything is unhooked the tranny is unbolted but I either get hung up on the passanger side of the engine bay or the engine gets caught up on my flywheel.. Is there a trick to this? Any other car the engine would have been out and if all else in and mounted by now. What all has to come off/out to get this damn thing out of the engine bay?....