Service tech guys!

Jizzle Juice

Ok so im starting my new job and i need to know what tools are in your guys' toolboxes that are used to do the following jobs:

Brakes

Suspension

Alignments

Timing belts

A/C

Charging systems

Exhaust/Mufflers

You know service work

And i know how to do all the things so no shitting in this thread please i just need to know from guys who have more experience than me. I worked at honda and did all of the above but im really good friends with one or few of the techs and they let me use there tools. So if anyone could give me a "list" or any input on what to get id be very grateful and thanks ahead of time for all the help i receive

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rule of thumb: if you have to borrow the same tool 2 times, you need to buy it! are you ASE certified to do a/c work?

I understand that but i wasn't Technically suppose to be doing that stuff but joe let me so at that time i didn't need to buy the stuff and no im not ASE cert for A/C but i can legally handle it. I have that stupid card saying so

I would recommend just go and buy the basics to start out with. I prefer Snappy because I work with my stuff everyday and I take pride in my tools. A lot of techs go out first thing and try to buy to much right away and get into too much debt. I have seen guys paying more a month for tools than their 30k car payment easy. Buy the stuff you know your are going to use on any given day. As you realize you need a tool is when you should buy it. My general rule is that if you have to borrow a tool from someone more than 3 times a year than you need to have it in your box, but then again I dont need to be buying stuff every week from the Snap On guy either because I have most of what I need. It takes years to get all the little cool shit and nice things you would like to have. As you put the time in you will figure on your own and from others around you what you will need to get.

Just my 2 sentz.

the only wrench brand i have never broken was craftsman profesional, they are a fracion of the cost of snap on, mac, cornwell or matco. now i do have alot of snap on and matco wrenches too. helps if we know what kind of cars your working on though, 5.5, 7, 8, 10, 13, 15, 18, 21 is mostly what you need for GM stuff. i also like snap on's screw drivers more then the other brands. a must have is a 3/8 impact and 1/2 impact. those are a first buy, don't be cheep on those.

the only wrench brand i have never broken was craftsman profesional, they are a fracion of the cost of snap on, mac, cornwell or matco. now i do have alot of snap on and matco wrenches too. helps if we know what kind of cars your working on though, 5.5, 7, 8, 10, 13, 15, 18, 21 is mostly what you need for GM stuff. i also like snap on's screw drivers more then the other brands. a must have is a 3/8 impact and 1/2 impact. those are a first buy, don't be cheep on those.

agreed! snap-on makes the best screwdrivers import cars you'll need 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, and 21mm sockets and wrenches

alot!!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/100_2442.jpg

need a drawer by drawer

:lol:

And the cars i would be working on is basically everything you could say im at midas in westerville so what ever people bring in is what ill be doing. And the craftsman thing ive herd about them being as good as the snap ons and matcos of the world so ill be adding some of those to my collection and ill be getting impacts threw midas they have a sweet deal on tools threw them but only a select few. And the whole use more than 3x a year i will remember that.

Guest 614Streets

Brakes is easy get a good spreader , bleeders , hex and star tampered bits , and a dead blow orange hammer from habor frieght along with a oxy acete torch and breaker bars and a pry bar set , for the rears a drum tool kit rear caliper pb turning block.

Suspension , thats all over the board. You need the axle nut sockets and a good impact 1/2.

Basically your talking alot of tools

My 2 cents is don't buy too much bullshit off the trucks.

3/8 impact with long extensions and cornwell swivels in mm ftw. Gear wrenches are a must too in metric.

I have been using husky and kobalt sockets and rachets in the field for 6 years. They are gold.

Personally I wont deal with craftsman they are JUNK!

Tool carts are better than any toolbox I have ever owned. PERIOD.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/24/l_16733033a8ce44749cc5996be1f779b7.jpg

Guest Removed
what rob said a lot!

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/cwash77/camaro245.jpg

see i still need 2 lockers..and the newer carts with the drawers all the way down thru them..i have a 3 drawer on now, that has the things in the top..one of which i removed...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/100_3056.jpg

issue with my box...every drawer is stuffed! :(:D:o